Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

First Vegs In

drippy
13 years ago

I planted peas, spinach & radishes over the weekend, in one of my 3 x 3 raised beds. But the crows were laughing in the trees the whole time, so we'll see what comes up! :)

Comments (7)

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

I planted peas and spinach about a week ago. I spied a pea that didn't get buried today and it was sprouting. I was irrationally excited.

The weather looks very happy for the next week for the first few crops -- warm and with some showers. Unfortunately my nectarines are almost at first pink, and I don't think we are quite out of the winter woods just yet.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A couple of rows of beans (I have way more seeds if it turns out to be too early), carrots, & turnips went in today. I am working on lettuce, mizuna, pak choi, & broccoli raab transplants this afternoon.

Spinach, radishes, & a few peas are up.

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

Beets, turnips, swiss chard and broccoli went in yesterday, and my peas and spinach are up, too.

I planted carrots a couple of weeks ago according to the Farmer's Almanac even though I thought it was too early. They haven't come up. I'm trying to decide if I should give them a few more days or sow some more.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alabamanicole, one of my carrot seed packs says they can take a little while to germinate - so you might want to give them a bit more time, since you can plant them pretty much anytime straight into fall.

I found some windowbox type containers for the lettuce, mizuna, toy choi, & broccoli raab I wintersowed - transplanted seedlings into them today, too. It's all a big experiment for me; I don't do a whole lot of research. I learn by trial and (a whole lot of) error, LOL.

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

I've tried the window box containers -- they just seem perfect for cut and come again lettuce near the kitchen. Alas, they just dried out too fast and got too hot.

If I were to do it again, I'd do it indoors in the winter in a sunny window. (Which I don't have in this house.) Or put them on drip irrigation and a timer so I could give them a little water twice a day on hotter days.

With 5 different kind of carrots you'd think *one* of them would have germinated by now. As wet as it has been, it's possible the seeds have rotted.

This year I am direct seeding *everything.* Messing around with little pots and transplants is just too much hassle and my direct seeded plants always do as well if not better.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm, well, I'm hopeful - I have the boxes situated in morning sun/afternoon shade, so hopefully that will keep them from getting too dried out. I guess I'll find out!

With veggies, I've done a lot of direct sowing - but with flowers, especially perennials, I like to give them a little bit of muscle before transplanting them where they are likely to succumb to who knows what pests and diseases and icky clay and croak if they are too small.

• greenpond09
    13 years ago

Hey guys have any of you tried the chard collards? I've grown them the past two years in central Alabama and they are super easy. Also they provide so much color to your garden(bright lights variety) and taste great both raw(in salads) and cooked like spinach or collards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dannys Vegetable Garden

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath