Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbatt_gw

Nurseries in the Gulf Shores area?

msbatt
15 years ago

I'm planning a trip to Gulf Shores in late May, and I'd love some suggestions on what nurseries to visit while there. I'll only have limited space to bring things back home, so my ideal choice would have a big selection of small plants at good prices. I'm mostly looking for tropicals, exotics, and things that I just can't buy in northern AL.

All suggestions welcomed!

Comments (6)

• Bamatufa
    15 years ago

I have made several trips in the past year and I beleive have found and visited all the antique and nurseries along HWY 59 leading from I-65 to Gulf Shores. Magnolia and Davis Nursery are the two largest I have found. Both on the left hand side driving toward Gulf Shores on Hwy 59. Magnolia Nursery in my opinion has the best selection of varities and sizes. From 1 gal and up.

• gcertain
    15 years ago

My favorite is on U.S. 98, between Elberta and Lillian. I don't know the name. You'll think you must be nearly to Florida (and you will be), when suddenly there it is, on your right. It's not a landscaping showcase, but the plants are healthy and native grown. The owner can tell you everything about the plants except maybe their Latin names. I stop in for tropical milkweed every time I'm in the area.

• feathertrader
    15 years ago

I think gcertain is speaking about the nursery on the corner of Hwy 91 and Hwy 98. Just went there last week. The owner is very knowledgable, and very helpful. And yes the place is overgrown but the owner makes up the difference. I just bought several shrubs and trees from her.

For smaller plants I thoroughly enjoy driving over to Gulf Breeze and going to the Garden Gate. It is on Hwy 98, and has a huge selection of unusual small plants. So your post had me think of them first. They are on the left going east. Also the owners are very knowledgable.
    Went there a couple weeks ago. Probably about 1/2 hour drive from Lillian, worth the visit.
    I'm going back in a few more weeks.

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Ok all of you who have been there. If I come down I65 and take 59 to Gulf shores, I believe I can find those nurseries.
    When do I run into 98 to find those. I'd really like to stop at the one on 91-98 and the others on 98.
    Any directions would be most helpful for a future plant trip.
    Lynn

• User
    15 years ago

A new user, lsugardenia, made a reply to this but somehow it got into another thread. I copy the information from that post here. Don't mean to be a busybody, but this seems to be where she meant it to go. :)

Posted by lsugardenia (My Page) on Mon, Mar 9, 09 at 12:29

Hi there. If you are driving south on 59 you will pass through Robertsdale, then summerdale, then foley...98 crosses 59 right in downtown foley. Take a left, going east toward Lillian on 98. The nursery (on hwy98 and hwy90)is at least 15 min away from that point...just keep driving, through Elberta. Aside from that nursery and Magnolia and Davis, I also highly recommend Wilsey Nursery...very nice quality plants and service..traveling south again on hwy 59, at hwy 98 in downtown foley, take a right going west toward fairhope...its about 15 min away take a right on 181/27 and its immediately on the left. GOOD LUCK!!!!

• gcertain
    15 years ago

The nursery on U.S. 98 between Elberta and Lillian is called Greenscape.

Sponsored