Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Belle Of Georgia Semi Dwarf Peach Q

Posted by scandia 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 23:30

I bought a Belle of Georgia tree 2 years ago in March. It is now about 10 feet tall and last summer, yes 1 year after we planted it, grew 3 peaches. YUMMY!!!.. I was wondering if anyone knows if I need another tree for pollination so I get more fruit. Or, do I just need to feed it more?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Belle Of Georgia Semi Dwarf Peach Q

Well, they are supposed to be self-pollinating,(meaning you shouldn't need any more than one), But something inside me always feels safer if I have 2 trees anyway. It couldn't hurt.

Another reason I like to have more than one fruit tree of any variety I get, is if something were to happen to one, I still have the other.....also it means more fruit....YAYYY!!!

o
RE: Belle Of Georgia Semi Dwarf Peach Q

THANKS; I have the hole dug and have prepared the soil with leaves and sticks and junk mail mulch, and I put some fish pieces in the bottom of the hole. (my hubby likes to fish) I did that about a month ago, and have the area covered with plastic until I get another tree. I plan to plant the new tree about 16 feet away from the other. Do you think 16 feet is good? I read that 14 feet is the minimum..The other tree seems to be happy in that area of the yard, so I am hoping the new one will be happy too.

You are right, a second tree wouldn't hurt. And they are so pretty in the spring. And the peaches they produce are SOOOO good.

I am not the best gardener so I needed to seek another opinion before buying another Belle.

The first tree is planted 14 feet from a southern exposure 6ft fence. It gets full on sun all day in the summer. If I plant the other tree the same width away from the fence to the east of the original tree. They would be lined up so one would block the morning sun from the other. And the other would block the afternoon sun. Is that a risk?? I mean blocking the sun?? Does anybody know how much sun they need?? I really want them lined up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here