Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pike's Nursery to be Auctioned

Posted by georgia-rose Z7/8 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 08 at 23:46

Announcement on local news in Atlanta that Pike's Nursery will be sold to the highest bidder. Is owned by a conglomerate in Dallas, TX area. Guess the Exceptional Drought conditions in all of the areas in which they operate created too much red ink for them. Many of their Alabama grower sources were also affected, especially one in Baldwin County, who has had to dump loads of plants from cancelled orders.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pike's Nursery to be Auctioned

• Posted by nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 23, 08 at 0:06

Wow!!

One season of drought and they're selling out? That doesn't say much about pride in the "family business". The Plant Odyssey and Hanna's Garden Shop, along with other locally-owned & -operated nurseries, have dealt with much more adversity, sucked it up and survived.

Oh yeah, this is America, where - too often - profit comes before pride. Sad, but our "home town" nurseries will benefit from their "take the money and run" attitude. They won't be sorely missed.

Nelson

o

Oh Nelson you are too much just kidding. They had some neat stuff but just to high for me. I'll stick with Hazel's.
Jill

o

I went by the Hwy 280 store Friday (Feb 22) afternoon and bought a few bulbs with one of my gift cards. I have been wondering about them. They have been down to a half dozen fish for months and the covered area outside has been bare. They do have a few new azaleas, a few new very nice sweet anise bushes and new stock in the tropical area. Since they haven't been restocking I suspected they weren't coming out of bankruptcy. Now I know I had better use my cards before they go under and leave town. Jill, you are right about them being a little high priced but I don't think they are nay higher price than Hanna's Garden Shop. I go by Hanna's just to get ideas.

o
Hazel's

Never heard of Hazel's. Where is it? What's it like?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here