Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will my yuccas survive?

Posted by shinythumb 7a AL (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 17, 06 at 0:27

Hello
I am new to this site, and new to the whole gardening hobby itself. Today, I planted my used-to-be houseplants, elephantipe yuccas into the ground outside. My grandma told me that she has had yuccas outside for years in this area and they did fine, even in the snow, though I believe they were a different variety of yucca. The leaves are a little on the yellow/brown side after having been outside for a week or so. The weather changed and we had some much cooler weather after having had upper 70's. Anyway, I was just hoping that these plants weren't meant more for indoor houseplants as opposed to being outside year round. I really love them and wanted advice on whether or not they will thrive in a 7 zone climate. I read enough to know that they are "rated" or whatever for 9-11 zone. Thanks for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will my yuccas survive?

There are all different types of Yucca. Some will live here, some will not. It sounds as if yours is more the houseplant variety.

In which case, would be fine to place outdoors during warm weather, in a pot. But I wouldn't recommend planting in the ground.

o

• Posted by josh z8a (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 17, 06 at 6:38

If you are sure of your own zone and sure of correct identification of your plant, then it does look as if you may have to repot and bring your plant back inside. Those zone numbers are not perfect but they're a pretty good indication of what will grow well for you in your area. You could grow plants rated for zone 7 or lower, but you are risking your plant if rated higher than Zone 7.

There are many Yuccas rated for your zone (and colder zones), one of which undoubtedly was what your Grandmother grew.

I'd repot your plant, water it very lightly for the next few weeks until I saw new leaves appearing which would indicate recovery from the cold. Then you could move outside for the summer...but definitely plan on taking it back inside next fall. Good luck...hope it wasn't permanently harmed. Yuccas are pretty tough so might just lose a few leaves. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Yucca elephantipe

o

Thanks for the input. I was afraid of that. They are the palm tree looking yuccas, just to clarify. They do have some new sprouts on the trunk, so I think they might make it. I should have mentioned that not all of the leaves were damaged, just a few of them on each plant. I planted four of them in the ground yesterday, but it looks like I will be uprooting. Thanks for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here