Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pfllh

Southern Homes and Gardens Sale

pfllh
18 years ago

Southern Homes is having it's tree, shrub and plant sale this coming saturday and sunday. The hours are: Sat - 8 to 6 and Sun - 12 to 6

They are down between Montgomery and Wetumpka on 231 north and the new store is out on Vaughn rd. The new store is really nice.

We're going Saturday. I really need some more plants - Yeah right!!!!

Lynn

Comments (15)

• michelle11
    18 years ago

Do you know if they have unusual trees like sourwood? I would love to get one, but can't justify the $100 price tag on the one sold by Hanna's up here.
    Michelle

• pfllh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Michelle, what size tree are you looking for? I can call both places for you.
    Lynn

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

Oh I wish i could go - but Lynn, you and Michelle have seen my place, and seen EVERYTHING I still need to get in the ground! :) So, i am gonna pass - b/c i have stuff coming from the plant swap - and i am still gonna come get some of your monkeygrass and that southern shield fern - soon as the D is over! :)

• imadabbla
    18 years ago

I'm gonna see if my SIL wants to go! WooHoo!

• pfllh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Will probably see some of you there. Tina, ME FIRST !!!! heh heh. I have soooo much still in pots to plant (as Jody saw when she came to my house Tues.)but love their sales so will be there early at the new store as it has more and then maybe to the old store.
    I might even find good things to add for the SWAP. :O)
    Lynn

• Frog_hollow_lady
    18 years ago

O.k.lynn...you buy big ones and I will help you "cut it up" lol...I dont care how many plants one has...you always have room for more..Lynn we need to get your greenhouse up...

• michelle11
    18 years ago

Lynn, it could be a small tree. Certainly nothing taller than 5ft, or it won't fit in the car. What is the best way to get there from Bham? Do you have an address? I could use mapquest then.
    I don't know if I can make it but I would love to try. DH has said he will help with the rock walls this weekend, and I figure I need to grab this opportunity while it exists!
    Michelle

• pfllh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Directions to old Southern Homes and Garden
    From B'hm, Take I65 south to Montgomery. Take the first exit - northern bypass exit, the road goes to the right and curves around. You can only go straight. I believe you will go through 2 lights. You will take the exit for 231 north. When you take the exit, at the bottom of the rd, turn left onto 231 north. Stay in the left hand lane. Not sure of the distance in miles you will go - I'm not good on that. You will see a nursery on the left. Just a little ways more and you will see the sign for Southern Homes on the left by their drive.
    Directions to new Southern Homes.
    Take I65 south to Montgomery to the I85 north exit. You will go past several exits as you have to go to the eastern part of Montgomery. You will take the first Bypass exit - do not go under the bypass and take the 2nd exit as that will have you headed the wrong direction. When you get onto the Bypass, work your way into the left lane. Go to Vaughn road and turn left. You will go quite a distance through several lights. You basically will come into an area that looks country. The sign for Southern Homes is on the right next to their drive.
    I hope these directions are good enough for you.
    Lynn

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

Ya'll enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: SH&G website - w/addresses

• raestr (z8 Central Ala)
    18 years ago

They do not have any oakleaf hydrangeas, so I'm skipping the sale. I will have to wait until the swap. Thank you Birdlady 10 for holding one for me.

Rae

• pfllh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Michelle, neither place has a sourwood tree. Laura at the Wetumpka HWY store suggested Petals of the Past in Jemison. They have a website and you can even email Jason and ask about the Sourwood tree.

Rae, we went to the plant dig in B'hm and my daughter got at least 10 of the Oakleafs and there were plenty more. You might want to go there next year unless you just wanted 1.
    Lynn

• tedp2
    18 years ago

Another route from B'ham might be better and easier for you. Go 280S to Sylacaga, then right on 231. S H will be on your right between Wetumpka and Montgomery. Don't know about Vaughn Rd but the folks on 231 can direct you.

• michelle11
    18 years ago

Lynn,
    the oakleaves at the plant dig-did they still have red leaves on them? I am longing for some like I saw at the zoo, which kept all of their red leaves throughout the winter. The zoo says they are just normal wild hydrangeas. However all the hydrangeas I see wild around here didn't keep their leaves.
    Michelle

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

Michelle, the hydrangeas we dug at the landill did not have leaves on them. I saw one of those the other day at either Myer's in Pelham or at Pike's on Hwy 280. I thought then these must be a new variety. They were really pretty. I guess I'll stick with my wild ones. They are over 6 feet tall and so full. They started out as little sticks from the dump.

• pfllh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My Michelle and I went to both the Southern Homes. This sale was nothing like I've been to in the past - not much on sale. We did get some plants but then at the old SH they had a clearance area. They had some plants that were plain dead. BUT at the end were some peonies - budded and full in I believe 3 gal pots. They were $11. We both grabbed 2 each. The only problem was some were not labeled. I did get a Sorbet.
    We had fun but I kept thinking of all the pots of plants at home I already needed to plant!!! Now to get busy and get ready for the drop in temps tonight.
    Lynn

Sponsored