Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakleif

My prayers For You in Alabama

oakleif
17 years ago

Last spring i went through the area, that was hit by those terrible tornados,on my way to NC. I had been told by a neighbor who had inherited some land here,how beautiful the older towns were and how friendly the people are. I found both to be true.

I feel so badly for your many losses and am thinking of you almost constantly. Are there any shelters set up any where for people who have lost their homes or need shelter?

God be with you

oakleif

Comments (7)

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    17 years ago

I certainly do feel for those of you in Enterprise. I live in SW Alabama (Escambia Co.) and I was anxious all day. I don't remember ever experiencing weather like that in March. We had one tornado reported near Mobile, no injuries though.

• hick
    17 years ago

Those of you in the Enterprise area and in other affected areas are in our thoughts and prayers here in middle Tennessee also.

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Thank you, Oakleif. Tornados are an all too often occurence in the southeast but it is the price we pay for living in this wonder southern region.

I can only imagine the sadness of the childrens' families and friends. The only comfort I can give them is that God must have a higher plan for the kids. The parents of the survivors should be very proud of their children. Many of the kids began digging their friends out of the ruins. Some even carried them out in their arms. I did not hear anything about hysterical panic. These were brave children. After a short time to grieve and recover, I hope the Enterprise community will honor both the dead and the brave survivors. Perhaps this year's bacculaureate or graduation ceremony would be the appropriate venue.

Unfortunately, the naysayers and their ambulance chasing shyster lawyers are questioning, accusing, the wisdom of the school for keeping the kids there. I am a frequent critic of Alabama's education officials and the too often stupid decisions they make. Having read the sequence of events at Enterprise HS, I think the school officials made the correct decision. I pray the principal doesn't torture himself by trying to second guess his decision.

Thanks again for your comments.

Terry Smith

• rosebud_2050
    17 years ago

Thank you Oakleif
    I am from Ozark ,just a few miles from Enterprise.we had a lot of tornadoe damage in our rural area the same day,but Enterprise is just devastated.I have been in tornadoes that left damage before but just cant believed how much damage those people have.the school is just rubble in the area that the kids were found .my neices and nephews were in the high school but they were in another area .they are fine but they seem to be in shock as most of the people you see are.I pray for them and the familys of the children that died.in response to the princple being at fault,He did what any of us would do ,based on the info he had.the sirens went off every time he tried to release the kids and they had to go back into the halls for safety.I know because the sirens were going off in my area the same time.I agree that he made the right decision.I am very proud of the community and the wiregrass area for helping each other in such a time of great need...
    Shirley

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I totally agree with you folks! These tornadoes are so unpredictable. As horrible as it turned out, the safest place for those kids was right there in that school, rather than on their way home, or home alone, or riding around. Considering the wide area of devastation, I dare say that more injuries would have occurred if those children had been ordered to leave school.

My heart does out to all of those who are living with the aftermath of this tragedy. Something like this always brings people close together, and that will be the blessing that emerges in days to come.

• tedposey
    17 years ago

I have a great grand niece in the 11th grade in that school.
    Fortunately she was home sick that day. She knew all 8 of the kids who were killed and is crying her eyes out acording to grandma.

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Oakleif, I just wanted to thank you again for your kind thoughts and I wanted to give you an update. Unfortunately, the state legislature hasn't provided money for rebuilding the schools but they did vote to take a week off for their spring vacation and voted themselves a 61% pay raise (yes, 61%). Classes have resumed in church buildings, auditoriums, etc. The Enterprise community pitched in to clean up the mess all across the town. People from all over Alabama and other states volunteered to help with clean up and putting lives back together. Over 80 homes were destroyed or damaged. The tornado was over 1/4 mile wide in places and has been classified as an F-4. The trash talk about whose fault it was to keep the kids in school seems to have died down. Almost everyone now praises the principal and staff for saving lives by not dismissing classes. Pres.Bush came down and walked through the school without the press and officials but with the student council officers. He went into a church across the street and met with just the preacher and the parents of the kids who died. I have problems with the president's policies but I believe he really is a compassionate and caring man.

Again, thanks for your kindness and compassion.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?