Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scandia_gw

Gardenia looking Strange

scandia
18 years ago

I have a Gardenia that is 4 -5 ft tall (approx 3 years old) that is looking strange lately. It has always been a lovely healthy green. For some reason just recently the leaves are looking less green and it seems to be infected with something..

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong?

I have put Mircle Grow for Evergreens on it...and dusted it with sevin dust...

The leaves are kind of yellowish, some have little holes in them (like something is munching them) and there are a few little brown bumps on the backs of the leaves..

HELLPPP!!!!

Comments (9)

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

sounds like the brown bumps COULD be scale. Do you have whiteflies? If you shake the leaves do you have lots of white bugs flying around? It MIGHT be early for them, I don't know. Search for them on here (GW).

My Gardenia leaves are light green with a yellow tint to them - i think they need fertilizing, pruning, etc. But, I am going to wait until they give me the first big flush of blooms to cut them back.

Seems to me i remember that the yellow leaves indicate an iron deficiency.

• terramadre
    18 years ago

Maybe the info at the link will help you determine what ails your gardenia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenia pests and diseases

• scandia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info and links...I think it MIGHT be Bacterial leaf spot. Pseudomonas gardeniae,Xanthomonas campestris cv. Maculifolium-gardeniae....hummm say that 3 times fast..

The description of bacterial leaf spot says it starts on the new leaves..That is where most of the discoloration is on my Gardenia...

It was nice and warm yesterday over 70 all day then some rain around 4pm...And I think it rained some last night..

My Gardenia looks better this morning...NOW I am wondering if it is because it was warm or if it is because I put plant food on it..

I have some big white oaks in my yard, I usually leave the white oak leaves on my plants throughout the winter.Today I am going to dig all the white oak leaves off from around the base of the plant...Just in case they are causing the ground to stay too moist..

• scandia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I caught my neighbors female dog (from across the street) going weeee on my Gardenia yesterday...Could this be the problem??

Does anyone know how to fix that besides washing the ground with water, and chasing the dog out of my yard???

I was wondering why my dog (who is male) was so interested in the bottom of my Gardenia. Hummmmm now I know why.

• heartsease_al
    18 years ago

My gardenia is turning black--all the leaves--wondering if it isn't from some of that strange gulf Coast weather we've had with the hurricanes, storms, tornadoes, etc Old fashioned remedy was to throw the dishwater on in--hasn't worked so far, b/c most of today's dishwash liquid doesn't have the same ingredients in it. any ideas welcome.

• terramadre
    18 years ago

Could be Sooty Mold.
    Sooty mold causes black, thin layers of the fungus to form over the upper surface of the leaves. Sooty mold is caused by a fungus that grows on sugary exudates from white flies. Control white fly.
    Click on the link above for more info about pests and diseases.

• raymon_2006
    18 years ago

I planted two Gardenias in Houston in March. The nursery advised me that if I added Azaelia soil and root stimulator, then my Gardenias would grow. They were planted in two different locations in the front yard, facing West. One has many yellow leaves and the other doesn't. The one without the yellow leaves bloomed two days ago. Should I add more root stimulator to the one with the yellow leaves? Any suggestions?

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

May I suggest that you water it with Miracid fertilizer, spray the leaves with Miracid and add a tablespoon of Epsom salts to the mixture. I would also add a tablespoon of Super Thrive. I believe in Super Thrive.

I had a strange thing happen this spring. The main stem of my giant gardenia (6 x 6 feet) died, the very center of the plant. While I was pruning out the dead wood, the main stem broke off just above the ground. Limbs which come out from the stump are still real green and growing.

• cordovagardener
    18 years ago

Scandia, I had some brown spots/bumps on my gardenias, and I never could figure out what was the cause. I finally detected that it was because they were under a hackberry tree, and the bumps were sap drippings. This sap gets on our cars too and everything else. It also makes stone garden ornaments "age" quickly. Is your gardenia under a tree?

Sponsored