Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
climbing hydrangeas in mobile, alabama

Posted by bayani z8 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 7:44

Good Morning everyone...I saw a great looking climbing plant with white flowers encompassing most of the northeast wall of my neighbor's house...i googled around and i think it is a climbing hydrangea... Do you have any experience with growing this plant in our area...thanks and happy gardening y'all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: climbing hydrangeas in mobile, alabama

It seems to be doing well in your neighbors' garden ;-)

I grow the native climbing H., Decumaria barbara; however, there's also H. petiolaris.

You may want to ask your neighbors if they know which species they are growing and, while you are at it, ask for a start.

Decumaria barbara

o

I appreciate your advice. The climbing vinelike plant growing at my neighbor's is not the climbing hydrangea. It was on sale at Springhill Nursery so I went I ahead and bought a lot. I will experiment and plant them on the west facing walls of my house and also next to the trees. I will let you know how they do. Thank you for the beautiful pictures. :-)

o

Being nosy...what did you order?

o

Sorry for the slow response. I got Climbing Hydrangeas from Springhill Nursery. They are very small. Some have leaves that have dropped but I still planted them anyway. I also got Montenegro and American Hope Lilies. I will submit pictures to our forum if they do well

o

I have had a climbing hydrangea growing on one of my trees for a couple of years and it's looking really good this year. How long does it usually take before it begins to flower?
Jan

o

It's been two months since i planted the climbing hydrangeas. They were about seven inches in height. Most have lost their leaves but two of them have sprouted more branches. One is growing on the northwest wall and one is doing okay in the shady north wall of the house. Will keep you posted. It will probably take years before they really climb and cover the walls but I think it is worth the wait.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here