Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knockout Roses?

Posted by biscuit97 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 07 at 8:45

We are thinking of filling a small bed along a fence with knockout roses? The fence is about 7 feet tall and it will soon have confederate jasmine growing all over. The area gets partial sun/shade. Anyone have any experience with this plant? Do you think it will do well (and look good) in the area I have described. Also, I am willing to take suggestions for other plants that may look good in said area. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knockout Roses?

It should have plenty of sun....more sun than shade, at least. It's touted as black spot RESISTANT, not PROOF, so all the cultural things you can do to prevent that icky disease is important.

They've had some planted for years on the campus at UAH, where with very little care (trust me) it blooms pretty much three seasons out of four. Most people aren't aware that it needs to be pruned rather heavily to keep it small, but that's no big deal.

I've also used it as something of a foundation planting on a project (full sun, heavy clay) and it's performed beautifully. I plan to use one of the shrub roses in my own landscaping this year. Maybe a Knockout....don't know for sure which color yet.

o

I planted one late last fall, it is now putting out lots of new growth despite a heavy clay soil. It gets sun all day except forlate afternoon.

o

Mine are doing well without much care. They are in heavy clay soil and get part sun/part shade.

o

I too, planted my first KR last spring. They were beautiful all summer and fall, with no sign of any disease. They are now putting out new growth, and I am looking forward to them this year.
Jan

o

They do live up to their reputation as heavy bloomers and resistant to diseases. The color is a little intense but more colors are coming out this year (a softer pink for one).

o

I planted some last year too & they did really well...I did the Double knockouts & loved them so much, I planted 2 more in the area, for a total of 5. Mine have a lot of new growth too, so can't wait for the blooms this year. Mine get about 1/2 day of sun...I think they do need at least that much to bloom well.

o

Phillip, look for 'Blushing' and 'Rainbow' Knock out roses. I think I might try the latter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here