Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabamajan_gw

Plant Swap

alabamajan
17 years ago

I was just wondering if there has been any talk of a spring plant swap this year? Preferably at Oak Mountain??? I've been to a couple of these swaps and really enjoyed them. But unfortunately missed the ones last year.

I know of lots of gardening people who are really interested in this. Not to mention it is a great way for the new gardeners to get new plants.....>So, Does anyone know anything yet??????

Comments (22)

• lsmcw
    17 years ago

No - but I was wondering the same thing. I've had to miss the last two due to work (yuck). Linda

• browneyedsusan_gw
    17 years ago

How about the last weekend in April or the first weekend in May at Oak Mountain? Perennials and shrubs will have broken dormancy and it will not be too warm to be outdoors.

Susan.

• lsmcw
    17 years ago

Either of those dates are good for me. Linda

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Sounds good to me also.
    Jill

• birdlady_10
    17 years ago

Me Too!! I've had to miss the last ones & have missed it.Hopefully nothing will go wrong this year.Now I just have to update my trade page.Haven't been to it since last year :(:(. Jan

• ourhighlandhome
    17 years ago

Either of those Saturdays would be good for me, too.

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

I vote first Saturday in May, 5/5/07. I'm bringing hotdogs, mustard, ketchup, kraut, onions. Oh, yeah, I'll bring plants, too.

• mws366
    17 years ago

May 5 looks good to me. I'm
    bringing a choc. cake.

wayne

• browneyedsusan_gw
    17 years ago

Great! Let's hold the swap on May 5th. I will start a thread on the Alabama Exchange forum for people to post to. I am looking forward to seeing everyone again. Susan

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

That sounds good to me folks....at least as far as I know now. I'm going to write it on my calendar now...and hopefully, be able to make this one. :)
    Jan

• Butterflyer1966
    17 years ago

Hey everyone,
    as a NEWBIE I have 2 questions:
    where is OAK MOUNTAIN ?
    I would love to meet some Gardeneners but have nothing to trade this year since I just moved here..
    Are NEWBIES also welcome??
    Greetings
    Susanne(SUE)

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Of course newbies are always welcome Sue. Let's see, you're in the Ft. Payne area right? I'm not too good at giving directions, however, I can tell you this much. Oak Mountain in on the south side of Birmingham, just off interstate 65. Some other forum member more familiar with your area, can surely give you better directions. Or, pull up a map on Map Quest or Yahoo maps for specific directions.
    Hope to see you there!
    Jan

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Check out the Exchanges section of this forum for updates, etc. on the swap.
    Jan

• georgiagal
    17 years ago

I'm a newbie too & don't have anything to bring to swap, but I'll try to make it. I don't live far from Oak Mountain, so that would work for me. Do ya'll meet inside the park in a particular location? Sounds great!

• lsmcw
    17 years ago

Remember, you can swap ANYTHING garden related - books, magazines, pots, decor, rocks (we all LOVE rocks), windchimes, etc. Or just come on down - everyone usually brings extras to share. Linda

• alisonfromalabama
    17 years ago

Thanks, Linda. Until I read that, I was thinking, oh poor me, nothing to swap, lol :). But I do make a mean bar of handmade gardeners soap, lots of other kinds of soaps and lotions too. I try to keep it all as natural as possible but I absolutely have to put a preservative in just about anything other than soap. The gardeners soap has cornmeal in it for extra scrubbing power and orange Essential oil for extra cleaning power and scent. If anyone wants to swap for plants let me know and I'll show up and bring some. Thanks!

Alison

• Jackie McCarty
    17 years ago

I've been away for too long. But I will be at the swap!

I dont have much to trade yet...

Does anyone want trillium (red), wild ginger, or wild purple phlox?
    I will probably have some gardening magazines also and a few bags of mulch...

and banana muffins, and blueberry muffins.

Jackie

• DaisyMae43
    17 years ago

Hi everyone who remembers me----Irene---from Bessemer. I've had some health problems which have severly limited my gardening, but I plan to come to the plant swap on May 5. Strobe, I'd love some of your ginger. I don't have much to trade, but I'll be there with good food of some description. Looking forward to seeing you all again.

• roseyp8255
    17 years ago

I will miss ya'll, but i will be at the fall swap, just too much going on right now, and have SOOO much to get in ground, divide etc., that i want to wait until fall.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    17 years ago

It will be great to see everyone again and meet new folk. Please take a look at my list and see if there is anything you would like. I will continue to update it as plants break dormancy.

I wish it would rain-the soil is starting to dry out already even though I have mulched heavily.
    Susan.

• alabamajan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Man I have GOT to get on the computer more!!! hehehe. May 5th sounds great. I'll go to the exchange and see what's what.

BTW....I work at Home Depot and have been telling people about the swap. Now I have a date! Seriously though, I have more plants in my garden due to this swap! There's no way I could afford to buy all the stuff like I have. Thanks to everyone here!!!!

• browneyedsusan_gw
    17 years ago

Please post a list of the plants, seeds and other stuff you have so that people can set up trades with you and bring you something that you want.
    Susan.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths