Houzz Logo Print
peggy_bishop_mcvay

Central Alabama Swap May 14

Peggy Bishop_McVay
13 years ago

Where: Oak Mountain State Park

When : May 14, 2011 the Saturday after Mothers Day

Start arranging swaps now.

Please clearly label your plants with their name, yes common will work. Specific is great if you know it,,,, I don't, sorry

Dig and pot as soon as possible to trade with the best chance of survival, less likely to die for it's new caretaker.

If you don't have plants to dig, newspaper, compost, pots... they are swap-able too just ask...

The only thing I can think of left is time... how is 10:00 A.M.

and lunch.... any suggestion?

pleasee add on to what ever I left out. It's Monday I have had coffee but no food and after a week of BEAUTIFUL weather, it's cold outside, (sigh.....)

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

Comments (38)

• lsmcw
    13 years ago

We've done pot luck before at Oak Mtn which seemed to work well. How about that?

• ourhighlandhome
    13 years ago

Date, time and eating arrangements make this sound like an "old school" swap! It'll be neat going back to Oak Mtn. again. There's so much to see and do there after the swap, as well.

I'll call tomorrow and see if a covered picnic area is available; the lakeside pavilions are way too pricey and would be overkill, unless there's someone out there who has money to burn ;-)

We'll meet and swap (I'm guessing) as always - in the very last parking lot before you enter the road to Peavine Falls. And if you've never made the hike to the falls, I highly recommend it. It's not that strenuous unless you elect to descend to the area below the falls.

I'll bring plates, cups, cutlery and napkins, possibly another food item once the menu starts coming together. That way ya'll can't eat without me ;-)

I'll post my trades on the "exchanges" forum, as well as on my exchange page. I'm looking forward to seeing new faces and old friends again after a year-long absence.

Nelson

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Mountain State Park

• Apple911
    13 years ago

I'm new to the forum, and I am really excited about this swap. I have never been to one. What do people usually bring to swap?

• mws366
    13 years ago

sounds good to me. i have always enjoyed the plant swaps in the parking lot and the picnic and garden talk after.
    if i bring a homemade choc. cake and nelson brings plates, cups etc., maybe everyone else can fill in the good stuff
    in between.

wayne

• lsmcw
    13 years ago

Apple 911, if you have not already done so, go to the bottom of the page and click on Member Pages. You can set up your "have to swaps" and "want to get" items and them post that your page is updated. People will email you with possible trades. We trade anything garden related - plants, bulbs, pots, garden decor, garden books, rocks, whatever you work out to trade. Most people bring extra stuff to trade at the event. Later, there will usually be a post about who's bringing what lunch item so we don't end up with 14 bowls of potato salad. Hope to see you there. Linda

• ourhighlandhome
    13 years ago

As of this afternoon, the park had two pavilions available in the area we usually meet at - the Buckeye and the Honeysuckle. Either is $40. per day and must be reserved and paid for in advance.

What does everyone think? If we do want a covered area with a picnic table, how do we reimburse whoever steps up and makes the reservation? This would be new "territory". We need to make a decision quickly....

Nelson

• mws366
    13 years ago

hey nelson----as you know, sometimes in past years we lucked out and got a pavilion that was not rented. sometimes we had to scramble for picnic tables at an inconvenient location. i think a pavilion should be rented in advance. it's unlikely there will be any unreserved ones on may 14. if someone will volunteer to make the arrangements, we can take up a collection of a few dollars each at the swap. i'll make sure whoever pays for the pavilion in advance comes out whole.

wayne

• ourhighlandhome
    13 years ago

We now have a pavilion! The "Buckeye"! It was the last one available near the entrance to Peavine Falls. It was built to accomodate 20 people, so it might not hurt to bring a few additional lawn chairs.

The park will post our group name - "Central Alabama Plant Swap" - on the pavilion.

That takes a little stress off! And, those of us who want to can make a day of it!

• catbird
    13 years ago

Oak Mountain isn't as far from us as last year's swap was, so I plan to come to it. I'll get around to updating my list one of these days. Right now I'm just trying to find my garden under all the weeds. :-(

Nelson: Thanks for making the arrangements. We'll all chip in.

Alice

• catbird
    13 years ago

madabouteu (Kenneth) is coming, too.

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

looking forward to seeing everyone. Does everyone eat tater tots? If most do, I will bring them for lunch. I live close so they will still be warm.

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

I have never been to this swap with out Lynn....
    I will post my trades later on..busy time for the nursery..took most of last year off so I worked on my personal plant allot...
    Oh Wayne...all of your cactus's you gave me are doing great!!! and I second the chocolate cake...(:D)

• plantcrazy222
    13 years ago

I will update my swap page soon. Have got to find some pots to put things in. Day lilies can handle being dug up anytime. Will have some Bee Balm. Can not remember the name, it is a hot fuchsia color. Lenten Rose, White Ginger, Solomon Seal variegated and a few other plants. The 1st swap I ever attended was at Oak Mt. State park and I think It was Wayne who brought the chocolate cake. mmmmm good. Deb and her Dad were at that one.

• catbird
    13 years ago

I'll bring carrot and raisin salad. Check my exchange list and let me know if you want anything.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    13 years ago

I will update my list as plants reappear. I look forward to seeing everyone again.
    Susan.

• lsmcw
    13 years ago

Have updated my list but should be adding more as the season progresses. Linda

• arenee
    13 years ago

I have lots of seeds...........is that OK?

• mws366
    13 years ago

hey arenee-----seeds are great !!! why don't you put them on your trade list ? common names are ok. also list seeds
    and plants you want. you will soon have someone contacting you wanting to trade seeds for seeds or their plants for your seeds. i bet you have some seeds i would like to have
    and i may have a plant you want. trading in advance of the swap, by email, is fun, but we also do a lot of trading on site.
    i look forward to meeting you.

wayne

• mws366
    13 years ago

check my list. updated today.

wayne

• daffodillady
    13 years ago

I hope to be able to attend, if I can find someone to watch my grandson for a few hours

• birdlady_10
    13 years ago

I'll be there.Going thru plants now to see what's up.I'll update page later this week.I know I have a lot of 4 " pots for seed starting and/or cuttings.I love Oak Mtn.I get to go by Hanna's & a few other garden spots :o).See ya. Jan

• Apple911
    13 years ago

I have started my trade and want list. Will update as more plants come up or root. Trying to root shrub roses if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

• catbird
    13 years ago

Apple911: I'd love to have a milk and wine lily. Check my trade list to see if there's anything you want. You can send me an email from the link on my My Page.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    13 years ago

Bumping this up

• heathersgarden
    13 years ago

Hi all! I'm considering joining in on all the fun this spring even though I live in TN. Your swap is just one week before ours (Middle TN plant swap), and I know I've probably met some of you folks that come to ours from Alabama.

A question: For us first-timers, once we enter the park, will it be obvious where to go to meet up? Oh, and are we charged an admittance fee by the state park itself?

Here is a link that might be useful: MTPS

• catbird
    13 years ago

heathersgarden: Welcome to the group. We'll look forward to meeting you.

According to Nelson's March 10 post above, we can just look for the Buckeye pavilion and a sign that says Central Alabama Plant Swap. I don't think there's an entrance fee to the park, but we'll all chip in to reimburse Nelson for the $40 fee for the pavilion. Grab a few plants, some food, and a folding chair and come on down. Alice

• Apple911
    13 years ago

The park fee is $2 a person. It's not much at all, but bring cash. That's all they accept. Look forward to seeing you there!

• birdlady_10
    13 years ago

Got a few things updated on my trade page.I'm sure there will be more in the coming weeks!

• stanreese
    13 years ago

Ok, the last time I traded was before Granger was born. My wife, Val and my oldest son, Bryant attended in my place and brought back some great plants. The oldest son is in college now in Knoxville but me and Val and Granger and Maggie and Delaina will be there this time. I'll update my trade page ASAP.

• stanreese
    13 years ago

NEVER MIND! Dang, I can't win for losing! Working until noon that Saturday. How long will this shin-dig last?

• heathersgarden
    12 years ago

Hey guys! A girlfriend and I are planning on joining y'all:) Just want to make sure no plans have changed... will there be a rain date or are we gonna have it regardless of weather since we have the pavilion?

Here's my tentative list, but feel free to check my *extensive* exchange page; I'll be happy to pot up from that list for a special swap:)

Mahonia seedlings
    Tradescantia seedlings, pink and lavender
    Hellebore seedlings
    Nigella damascena, white and blue
    Mexican Bamboo 'Crimson Beauty' seedlings
    Marjoram, green or gold
    Angelina sedum
    Hardy mum, pale pink to lavender
    Iris, german - Two toned purple with gold throat
    Iris, german - Pure white, or with gold throat
    Jerusalem artichokes - very tasty!
    White evening primrose, oenothera

In smaller quantities, for special swaps:
    Becky shasta daisy
    Walkers Low Catmint
    Amsonia tabernaemontana seedlings
    Raspberry Latham Red everbearing
    Clove currant, ribes odoratum
    Asparagus, Purple Passion seedlings
    Pussy willow cuttings
    Blue Rose cuttings

In the meantime, happy gardening!
    ~Heather

Ps: I think stanreese needs to come down with some sort of mysterious morning illness;)

Here is a link that might be useful: exchange page

• catbird
    12 years ago

Stan: The trading will be over before you get off work and we usually eat right after that. If it doesn't take you long to get to Oak Mt. you may still find some of us there visiting. We'd love to see you. Email me if you want my cell phone number to call when you get off to see what's going on. Alice

• heathersgarden
    12 years ago

Just a few more days! Can't wait to meet everybody!!!

• stanreese
    12 years ago

I did some begging and I will be there after all with my wife and 3 seedlings. I would love to find someone with some Black Eyed Susan. Anyone?

• heathersgarden
    12 years ago

Looks like it'll rain this Saturday - good thing we've got the pavilion! Do you think we'll all fit? I could bring a 10x10 market pop-up.

• daffodillady
    12 years ago

I will not be able to attend this time:~(
    Counting the days already until the fall swap ;-)

• catbird
    12 years ago

They've dropped the chances of rain Saturday morning to 40% and are saying it should pass by 10:00 or so, so we may have a beautiful, cool day. I'll bet we can all squeeze into the pavilion if it does rain on us.

• stanreese
    12 years ago

Running late this morning but will be there by 10:30ish. Coming from the Dora/West Jeff area.

Sponsored