Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweetypye

Anyone seen any hummers yet?

tweetypye
17 years ago

Just wondering if you folks in south AL have seen any hummers drifting in yet? I put out a feeder yesterday, in anticipation. Seems like I had some really early last March.

Jan

Comments (21)

• colabama
    17 years ago

what a delightful thing to look forward to! i'll hang mine up today too and see what happens. regards,marie

• outintheyardallday
    17 years ago

I put a few feeders up this week, but no sightings yet. And yes, we have had them around this time in previous years, so - I'll keep watching!

• terramadre
    17 years ago

The first hummers usually show up around Mach 27 in our area; however, one of our garden club members had a female Rufous HB visit his feeder all winter. He and another expert banded her on January 5.

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all your responses. I've got a couple of feeders out and ready, but haven't seen any hummers as yet. Shouldn't be long now, however.
    Jan

• bets4bama
    17 years ago

I keep a garden journal where I also enter bird info. Last year my first one appeared March 22. Every year they arrive a bit earlier. And I too have had Rufouses...one in '01 (a male) and another one in Dec.'05(a female). She was banded this past December in my neighbor's yard...guess her feeder was sweeter than mine. Always leave at least 1 or 2 feeders out all winter and you just might get one too! It was so exciting, especially when MY bird returned the next year.

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've never seen a rufus here, although I do leave one feeder out all year. I've got a feeling the ruby throated hummers will begin showing up this week....keep watching...and let us all know when you spot one. :)
    Jan

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

I haven't seen any hummer, no yellow & black finches and no indigo buntings,

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've got lots of the gold finches, but the males haven't begun getting their bright yellow plummage with the black cap yet. I haven't seen any indigo buntings yet though, and still no hummers.....but I'm watching for them. :)
    Jan

• alabamanicole
    17 years ago

I keep seeing this thread and thinking it is about bumblebees! No hummingbirds here yet, but the bumblebees are out and about.

• kabby_z8
    17 years ago

Got my feeder up yesterday and was outside all day today. Nada, nothing! They are late this yr, they go for the red honeysuckle first and then the feeder. Impatiently tapping my foot!

• tempskya
    17 years ago

I've been thinking about hummers ever since the weather turned nice. I'll plan to put up my feeder over the weekend and keep a watch out for visitors.

And the bumblebees are just all over my blueberry blossoms!

• alabamanicole
    17 years ago

A couple of days ago some bluebirds took up residence in my bluebird house near the peach trees after some stiff competition among some pairs of birds... not all of which were bluebirds.

The peach trees WERE prime territory for the bumblebees... they angrily dive bombed me every time I went anywhere near the area, which is unfortunately right in the middle of where I have to walk all the time. I was growing concerned I may have to do something about them, and I don't think a pro can relocate a bumblebee hive.

I haven't been dive bombed at all yesterday or today. Do bluebirds EAT bumblebees?

• gardentender
    17 years ago

Here is an interesting link for hummer migration:
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

also.. is it possible that what you are assuming are bumbles might actually be carpenter bees? Very destructive bees. Males who have no stingers will dive bomb anything. All bark. pix and descriptions on this site.
    http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfacts/struct/ef611.htm

• alabamanicole
    17 years ago

Well, they look fuzzy to me, and fatter than a carpenter bee. It is hard to tell when they don't hold still. ;)

In this link, I would say they most resemble the resin bee. And they ARE awfully big. But it doesn't sound like they should be active this early in the year.
    http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1302/

My house is metal and hardiplank; the outbuildings are all metal. There are bound to be more attractive sites than my place. The only exposed wood I am aware of is the supports underneath one of the sheds, which IS near the area. Oh, and a power pole nearby in the same place -- which come to think of it, has had several woodpecker visits lately in the early morning.

Well, they all seem to have disappeared, but I guess I need to take a closer look when I can and look for a smooth thorax. Thanks for putting that bee in my bonnet, so to speak.

• kabby_z8
    17 years ago

FINALLY!!! Didn't see the little sucker but I sure heard him/her buzzing about today. It's about time!

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Thanks, Kabby. That means I better break out the feeders and mix a new batch of sweet food. They will be in Birmingham this week.

• down2earth
    17 years ago

We saw our first hummer on Friday around and Azalea bush. We did not have our feeder out but she kept coming to the spot where the feeder hangs. She must have been here before. We promptly put out one feed and soon we had 1 male and 1 female. Today we have two beautiful males fighting like crazy. We hung another feeder but will have to wait for more hummers. We normally do not use feeders until July because they prefer the natural blooms but this year, with the late freeze, there is not much for them to nectar on.

• curlykat
    17 years ago

We've got 2 feeders out, but haven't seen any yet. Last year we had about 10 hummers

• bets4bama
    17 years ago

YEP....bout 30 minutes ago a male FINALLY showed up at my feeder. I think they are a bit late this year. Last year he arrived on the 20th and the year before on the 22nd. Go figure. My whole attitude changes when the first one appears. Just knowing how far he's traveled and still survived! It truly is a miracle! BTW, I'm in the Bham area.

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well drats!!!!! I still haven't seen any down here....if you are seeing them near B'ham...then surely I should be having them...maybe I've just missed them since I've been so busy. My feeders are near my porch, but I haven't spent much time sitting the past few weeks. :) I'll start watching closer for the little buggers.....LOL
    Jan

• bcb77
    17 years ago

I got bombarded by one this morning while sitting on the deck. He buzzed in trying to hit up a flower sitting right at my feet, then he saw me and took off in the other direction, stopping for a millisecond in front of my face.

Sponsored