Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which perennials and annuals do best in Alabama?

Posted by fnboyd z8 AL (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 10:09

I have tried many perennials and annuals over the years. Some have thrived in the Montgomery heat and humidity but many have died. Which ones have you had success with? Which ones do you use over and over again because they worked so well? I am looking for some new ideas because I am tired of marigolds,petunias,impatients,daylilies and coneflowers.

love to dig,
faye

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which perennials and annuals do best in Alabama?

Hi, Faye! I've only lived over here a little over a year (from Atlanta), but we get about the same weather & temps in both areas, so I'm experimenting on what to grow. Last year, I planted a couple of small beds & used some perennials: coreopsis, purple verbena (the perennial kind), sedum, blue pincushion (scabiosa), so I'm anxious to see what it looks like this year. Some of those are still green & never died back. The blue pincushions are already full & blooming, so they seem to be thriving. This bed gets almost full sun all day. That's a few for you to consider. I really can't wait to get out there again & plant more this year!

I planted some hardy hibiscus last year that my parents dug & gave me. They grew to about 3 feet & were loaded with huge hot pink blooms all summer long, so I would definitely recommend those. I don't know the variety of the ones I have, but you should be able to find some in the local stores here. Here's a shot of one of them...now, these were planted with just the stub/roots in Feb. of last year & this was taken probably June or July. They grew like crazy.

I just found this forum over here for AL gardeners, so I'm excited! I'll be back.

o

I second sedum and coreopsis. I have sedum "Autumn Joy" and it is fairly bulletproof. I grew "Moonbeam" coreopsis last year, and it never faltered in the heat. Balloon flower (Platycodon)is great as well. Blooms a lot in summer.

How about perennial Salvia? I tried "May Night" last year, and it bloomed all summer. I'm going to try several new kinds this year. If you like foliage plants, I've had good luck with Heuchera "Palace Purple" (I specify variety, because I think heat tolerance of Heuchera varies) and Artemisia "Powis Castle" (again, I think not all artemisia is humidity tolerant).

A couple that I don't grow yet, but have on order that are supposed to be great varieties for the heat are Nepeta (catmint)"Walker's Low", Geranium "Rozanne", and Shasta Daisy "Becky".

I'm sure others will have more and better suggestions! All the above, are perennial, BTW.
Joy

o

as far as perennials go, I would suggest azaleas and hydrangeas. i moved here about two years ago and have tried different plants...azaleas bloom throughout spring and hydrangeas come on their own in the late spring to summer...i have found that night blooming jasmine does great here...over wintering is not good for birds of paradise or citrus although satsuma oranges and kumquats do great...i bought and planted bridal wreath spireas as well as grown zinnias from seed...they all do great..best of luck and happy gardening.

o

Dragonwing Begonias, Lantana 'New Gold', Caladiums, Rudbeckia 'Goldstrum'.

We are going to try some Tiger Cub Corn this year. It's only supposed to get about 3 feet and its variegated. Should be interesting.

o

Try lantana Miss Huff and Ham&Eggs. Miss Huff is yellow, orange and pink. Ham & Eggs is Pink with an ivory/yellow center. They will fill up any space and are covered with blooms all summer.

o
perenials for alabama

I ALSO HAVE DONE WELL WITH AZALEAS ESPECIALLY PRIDE OF MOBILE, CONFEDERATE ROSE ALSO DOES WELL. All SEDUMS AND FERNS.ROSES, HOSTA,HYDRANGEAS.I DO HAVE A LOT OF SHADE AND, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF CREEPING PHLOX CANDY STRIPE ,WHICH SAYS FULL SUN, BUT IM WONDERING BECAUSE OF THE HEAT ABOUT FILTERED SHADE. HAS ANYOBE TRIED THIS. I HAVE ALSO BEEN LOOKONG FOR SWEET WOODRUFF FOR THE SHADE.
HAVE FUN IN THE DIRT.

o

You may want to go up I-65 to Jemison and visit Petals From The Past. I was there today and found lots of uncommon bedding plants. They have been in the business for 13 years and all their plants are grown in Alabama, so they can give you good advice.

Here is something else - find out what wildflowers grow around Montgomery and use commercial versions. For instance,I am in Gadsden and Rudbeckia is everywhere on the roadsides, so commercial varieties such as 'Goldsturm" shoulddo great here.

o

I can also vouch for Petals from the Past. I was there yesterday for the first time & was so impressed with the knowledge & expertise of the owner. I love the fact that all the plants are grown in AL & I brought home some reseeding annuals that I've never tried before.

o

Georgia Gal: I've never grown any kind of hibiscus, let alone the hardy type, but it's lovely and I think I have a place for some in my yard. Does anyone know if it's readily available in the Tuscaloosa area? How large will it get?
If I go out looking for it I just know I'll come home with lots of stuff I don't need.

o

One of my favorites is Salvia farinacea 'Victoria'. It blooms nonstop from spring 'til frost.
You can't go wrong with this flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia farinacea 'Victoria'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here