Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fnboyd

Which perennials and annuals do best in Alabama?

fnboyd
17 years ago

I have tried many perennials and annuals over the years. Some have thrived in the Montgomery heat and humidity but many have died. Which ones have you had success with? Which ones do you use over and over again because they worked so well? I am looking for some new ideas because I am tired of marigolds,petunias,impatients,daylilies and coneflowers.

love to dig,

faye

Comments (10)

• joyb26
    17 years ago

I second sedum and coreopsis. I have sedum "Autumn Joy" and it is fairly bulletproof. I grew "Moonbeam" coreopsis last year, and it never faltered in the heat. Balloon flower (Platycodon)is great as well. Blooms a lot in summer.

How about perennial Salvia? I tried "May Night" last year, and it bloomed all summer. I'm going to try several new kinds this year. If you like foliage plants, I've had good luck with Heuchera "Palace Purple" (I specify variety, because I think heat tolerance of Heuchera varies) and Artemisia "Powis Castle" (again, I think not all artemisia is humidity tolerant).

A couple that I don't grow yet, but have on order that are supposed to be great varieties for the heat are Nepeta (catmint)"Walker's Low", Geranium "Rozanne", and Shasta Daisy "Becky".

I'm sure others will have more and better suggestions! All the above, are perennial, BTW.
    Joy

• bayani
    17 years ago

as far as perennials go, I would suggest azaleas and hydrangeas. i moved here about two years ago and have tried different plants...azaleas bloom throughout spring and hydrangeas come on their own in the late spring to summer...i have found that night blooming jasmine does great here...over wintering is not good for birds of paradise or citrus although satsuma oranges and kumquats do great...i bought and planted bridal wreath spireas as well as grown zinnias from seed...they all do great..best of luck and happy gardening.

• auhort1990
    17 years ago

Dragonwing Begonias, Lantana 'New Gold', Caladiums, Rudbeckia 'Goldstrum'.

We are going to try some Tiger Cub Corn this year. It's only supposed to get about 3 feet and its variegated. Should be interesting.

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Try lantana Miss Huff and Ham&Eggs. Miss Huff is yellow, orange and pink. Ham & Eggs is Pink with an ivory/yellow center. They will fill up any space and are covered with blooms all summer.

• mydirt467
    17 years ago

I ALSO HAVE DONE WELL WITH AZALEAS ESPECIALLY PRIDE OF MOBILE, CONFEDERATE ROSE ALSO DOES WELL. All SEDUMS AND FERNS.ROSES, HOSTA,HYDRANGEAS.I DO HAVE A LOT OF SHADE AND, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF CREEPING PHLOX CANDY STRIPE ,WHICH SAYS FULL SUN, BUT IM WONDERING BECAUSE OF THE HEAT ABOUT FILTERED SHADE. HAS ANYOBE TRIED THIS. I HAVE ALSO BEEN LOOKONG FOR SWEET WOODRUFF FOR THE SHADE.
    HAVE FUN IN THE DIRT.

• madabouteu
    17 years ago

You may want to go up I-65 to Jemison and visit Petals From The Past. I was there today and found lots of uncommon bedding plants. They have been in the business for 13 years and all their plants are grown in Alabama, so they can give you good advice.

Here is something else - find out what wildflowers grow around Montgomery and use commercial versions. For instance,I am in Gadsden and Rudbeckia is everywhere on the roadsides, so commercial varieties such as 'Goldsturm" shoulddo great here.

• georgiagal
    17 years ago

I can also vouch for Petals from the Past. I was there yesterday for the first time & was so impressed with the knowledge & expertise of the owner. I love the fact that all the plants are grown in AL & I brought home some reseeding annuals that I've never tried before.

• maxmom96
    17 years ago

Georgia Gal: I've never grown any kind of hibiscus, let alone the hardy type, but it's lovely and I think I have a place for some in my yard. Does anyone know if it's readily available in the Tuscaloosa area? How large will it get?
    If I go out looking for it I just know I'll come home with lots of stuff I don't need.

• kathyinalabama
    17 years ago

One of my favorites is Salvia farinacea 'Victoria'. It blooms nonstop from spring 'til frost.
    You can't go wrong with this flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia farinacea 'Victoria'

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz