Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potting confederate rose

Posted by loveofmylife680 z7 al (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 10:49

I have been growing some cuttings of con. rose all winter in water I need to put them in soil. My ? is what kind of soil, how big of a pot and when is it ok to set them outside in the pots till I am ready to put in the ground. I was thinking of letting them have some sun during the day till the cold weather is all gone. I never have had any luck with doing plants this way much, just want them to survive, 2 of the stalks have a leaf growing on them.
Thanks Jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potting confederate rose

I received some great advice on making the move from water to soil and I've successfully moved confederate rose cutting this way. Plant the cuttings in rather wet potting soil -- it seems to give the cutting a better transition. I make the soil really wet and then put it in an area with light, but not direct sun. By the time you need to water again -- which is quite a while -- they seem to be established. I would give them a little time in the pots to get settled and make sure they start growing and then they are easy to transplant outside -- just make sure you harden them off like you would a seedling. Good luck!

JR

o

What size pot does it take???

o

as big as you can find. I put one in a large tree pot, placed it in the garden because I did not want it in the soil. Within two years, it had rooted through the pot and was huge. Within three years it was bigger than an oak tree that I Had had for years.

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 18, 06 at 22:39

These plants send out strong lateral roots. Once they get big they need a strong pot with trimming of the roots or a box. Once the side of the pot bulges repot or it will split the pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here