Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heirloom Tomatoes Sellers

Posted by ginger_s Z7 AL (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 10:50

Hi All,

I have heirlooms on my mind and I didn't get a chance to start any seeds. Does anyone know of any sellers in the Birmingham area? I know about Tasteful Gardens in Heflin but if I could stay closer, that would be great.

Also, do you think it is too late to start tomato seeds? I need some opinions because I don't use seeds for most veggies.

Ginger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heirloom Tomatoes Sellers

A lot of heirlooms are also popular tomato varieties you'll find on almost any seed rack, like Brandywine and Cherokee Purple.

It is late to start tomato seeds if you want to transplant as soon as it's warm, but the season is plenty long enough for lots and lots of homegrown maters before frost.

o

For what it is worth, at the Etowah County Master Gardeners sale on April 12 and 13, we will have transplants of a number of tomato heirlooms for sale for $2 each. I cannot remember the entire list, but you can e-mail me at mosasaur47@msn.com and ask if we have a specific one. I know we will have Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and Brandywine. Isn't Homestead also an heirloom?

Definitely not too late to start seeds. Plus, a number of mail order places offer express processing for additional charge.

o

A couple of places to check out online:

Darrel Jones/Alabama
http://www.selectedplants.com/

Abundant Acres Heirloom plants
http://www.abundantacres.net/

Both very reputable sites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here