Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetodig

New to the area

lovetodig
14 years ago

Hi, I am new to the Alabama area, Im having trouble identifying a ground cover that is taking over. It is growing from the servitude behind my house. It comes under the fence with very woody light colored runners, small leaves that shoot up from the runners. I have tried several products to get rid of it. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• catbird
    14 years ago

It could be any number of things. Can you post a picture? Here's a brief description of how to do that in case you haven't done it before:

"As to how to post photos. Take a few good shots of the front of your home from several angles. You can go to a site like Photobucket.com and upload the images to a file. There will be 3 lines shown below your photo (URL, Tag, Img). Copy the Tag line and paste it into your message. Once you preview the message, it should show up."

If you need more help, let us know.

• lovetodig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you I will work on that now! Do I post the picture on this forum?

• catbird
    14 years ago

The end effect will be that it is shown in on the forum, though it's actually stored on photobucket. You have to create an account (free) on a photo hosting site like photobucket.com. It will explain how to upload the picture from your computer and will give you the tag line as explained in the post above. When you paste that line into your post and click on the "preview message" button, your picture picture will appear on the screen where you review your post, then in the forum when you submit it. If you ever delete that picture from photobucket it won't show on this website any more. Hope that all makes sense. It's easier than it sounds once you get the hang of it.

• lovetodig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:359704}}

• catbird
    14 years ago

It looks like Japanese honeysuckle, which is quite invasive and an awful nuisance. Look at the link below and see what you think. I've pretty much gotten rid of it with Roundup, but it still crops up from time to time. Cut it back as much as you can, then spray the rest. I still struggle with the English ivy that crawls through the fence from the neighbor's woods. Every couple of years I cut back what's in my yard, then spray Roundup as far as I can through the fence (with his permission) to beat it back for a while. Expensive and a lot of trouble, but better than being smothered by ivy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese honeysuckle

• lovetodig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Catbird, thats exactly what it is!!! Thanks so much for identifying it for me. I do remember seeing the little berries. Its actually coming from the servitude behind my fence. I might just spray on the outside of the fence, otherwise I will be fighting it forever!!!
    My neighbor fights English Ivy, I guess that will be next for me! Thanks again you have been a big help!!!

• catbird
    14 years ago

Glad I could help out.

And, by the way, welcome to the area. What part of the state are you in? Check out the plant swap thread and come if you can. You don't have to bring anything if you're just getting set up, but I guarantee you'll go home with some plants and some nice new gardening friends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant swap thread

• lovetodig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am in Madison, near Huntsville. The Plant swap sounds like fun, just wish I had all my plants that I left behind in Louisiana!!! I'm not sure how far Gadsden is but I will look it up. Thanks for the invite!

• catbird
    14 years ago

It's an easy, pretty drive from Huntsville right down 431 through Guntersville. You have no excuse, so put it on your calendar. See you then. Alice

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Lovetodig, welcome to our area and I hope you will come to the swap. - Terry

Sponsored