Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bean tree

Posted by aeris none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 11:24

I'm trying to figure out what kind of tree my friend has. It blooms in February with red flowers. In March, it starts growing beans. Looks just like butterbeans that don't quite fill out. They just hang down under the tree limbs and are supposed to be edible

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bean tree

Is it a redbud?
http://www.eattheweeds.com/eastern-red-bud-pea-pods-on-a-tree/

There are a few other trees that grow pods but none of them have flowers that are reddish that I know.

o
RE: bean tree

I would put my money on Red Bud. It's been in bloom for almost two weeks here south of Atlanta so the Febuary timing may be off unless your down on the gulf. Don't know about edible but it is related to peas and beans as it is a legume and nitrogen fixer.
The other trees with pods that come to mind both bloom later and only one has showy flowers that are pink.
Mimosa blooms in May with powder puff pink blooms and Honey Locust doesn't really have showy blooms but the sweet pulp in it's pods is edible.
Black Locust has white blossoms.
Catalpa has showy white blooms with a purple throat and blooms late May or June.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here