Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveofmylife680

So exited about my peonies

loveofmylife680
18 years ago

My SWEET hubby had moved it without my ok I was furious when he had done that so I just tossed them to the other side to where they were planted and dug a hole and stuck them in it, They died real quick so I thought I had lost them but they are coming back. Because I had always heard they were real hard to please plants when moved. But I had moved these with me from Cullman 6 years ago to trussville they stayed there 1 year then we bought our house in pinson and moved them again but did not have a spot to put them they were already at the house whenI moved in at Cullman so no telling how old they are or what kind. They are white with specks of pink or red on them they spell wonderful does anyone know what kind they might be and when to divide them to make more clumps?

Sorry so long

Jill

Comments (11)

• loveofmylife680
    Original Author
    18 years ago

lol meant to spell- smell

• joyb26
    18 years ago

My Festiva Maxima's are pure white with flecks of red on the inside. Mine are coming up after being moved, too, so I'm excited!

• michelle11
    18 years ago

does anyone know where to buy these? I just saw them at teh BBG and fell in love with htem. How long do they bloom?
    Michelle

• bcb77
    18 years ago

I was reading somewhere that Peonies will not bloom south of BHam because of insufficient cooling times in the winter.

Has anyone had them bloom south of town? I am in Alabaster, and I just planted 6 peony plants this year. They are all about 6" high now, and I'm hoping to prove that website wrong!!

:)

• pfllh
    18 years ago

I live in Prattville and mine have bloomed. I have a friend that had them in Montgomery.
    It may depend on the variety. I'm not real knowledgable just like them.
    Lynn

• patricianat
    18 years ago

Sometimes peonies will bloom south of Birmingham and sometimes not. It is said there was a lady in Montgomery who died a few years ago who had 300-400 and they bloomed well each year. After she died, they never bloomed again, so she must have had some secret that the children, who inherited her home, did not know.

I have peonies in Prattville and some years they bloom and some they do not and it is not necessarily related to chill as some years when winter has been mild, they bloom. However, about the time they bloom, here comes the heat and zaps them. I don't think the Lord wanted me to have peonies and delphiniums in Prattville, otherwise, he would have made them so that they would do better.

• joyb26
    18 years ago

Michelle, I bought my peony at Myers in Pelham. bcb77, mine was blooming in Helena last year and another house in my neighborhood has a huge one!

Joy

• bcb77
    18 years ago

YAY! That is great news for me. I'm so happy to hear about y'all having luck with these gorgeous flowers bloomin in our neck of the woods. I LOVE the way they look, and I'm hoping to have some beauties within the next few years.

Thanks for the reassurance!
    Beth

• catbird
    17 years ago

I live in Gadsden and have some beautiful double pink peonies -- one a transplant from my daughter's 70+ year old house in North Carolina and one I bought I-remember-not-where. They've been putting on lots of buds and the first blooms are beautiful, but the rest of the buds turn brown and die. They bloom pretty early, before the weather gets hot and muggy. As summer comes on the foliage always dies back and I just have to cut them down, leaving bare spots in the garden. They have always come back the next spring. Any suggestions besides throwing them out?

• alex_z7
    17 years ago

Plant something that is deciduous and will appreciate the room. Or maybe put in a clematis, or what about some annuals?

Or you could plant them in containers and move them to a less-noticeable spot after they bloom. That is what I do with mine.

• alex_z7
    17 years ago

Catbird, I just saw a post in the Hostas forum that shows a hosta and a peony. It's titled "Peony Support" and the picture is great. Since you cut back your peonies anyway, maybe putting a hosta with it to cover the gap would work.

How much sun does that spot get?

Sponsored