Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arab_gal

Lantana

arab_gal
19 years ago

None of my lantana are showing signs of life. Is it still early? Do I still have hope?

Comments (11)

• ourhighlandhome
    19 years ago

Keep the faith ;-) Give 'em a couple o'more weeks at least. If & when they do become active they'll make up for lost time!

Are you new to the forums? If so, "Welcome!", it's good to have another on board.

Nelson

• arab_gal
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes! New as can be. I have been reading posts and decided to take the plunge. Thanks for the welcoming words.

I planted three new Lantana plants last weekend (even gave them their own new "garden"), which tarnished my patience to see buds from the existing plants.

• mimidi
    19 years ago

My lantana has only been showing new leaves for a couple of weeks now. I feel sure your lantana will be sporting green soon.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    19 years ago

It's my understanding that lantana may or may not decide to be hardy in your area. Several plantings that I've observed in this area have about a 50% survival rate. Be patient. Luckily, lantana is inexpensive enough to be replanted just like your favorite annuals.

• applepatch
    19 years ago

It depends on a lot of different factors.I have some that wait until some times in april to start showing.It should be soon.My angel trumpets are already showing new growth but not anything from my lantanas.They are always late.Paulette

• roseyp8255
    19 years ago

Paulette, Thanks for the email offer, and also thanks for the news on the lantanas - I too have been worried about mine - it was huge the last couple of years, and no sign of life so far, but maybe it'll show soon. I think i MAY pull the leaves/mulch out from around it this weekend and "snoop" for signs of life. Gotta run to bed now. Rosemary

• LoraxDave
    19 years ago

I have heard not to give up on Lantanas until May. Last year, mine reappeared in March, but I believe it was warmer overall last March than it has been this year. Try to find 'Miss Huff' if you want the most reliable returning variety for North Alabama.

• debbido
    18 years ago

I have about 20 of them that come back every year, but they are late coming up. As I was walking around today, I saw the first bit of life on just one of them. I say give them a few more weeks before you even think about worrying about it. We had a very mild winter. They should come through just fine.

Deb

• arab_gal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I poked around the base of my lantana this weekend and saw the tiniest of new growth on two of them. Nothing yet on the third one, but I think it's just being stubborn. Thanks to you all for your kind words and encouragement!

• QueenBee1
    18 years ago

is there a way to divide the lantana or is it best to just leave it alone and let it do its own thing? i

• mimidi
    18 years ago

Queenbee if you are talking about the large growing lantan is is very easy to root or at least for me. I just take a cutting and stick it in a pot or in the ground where I can keep the soil moist until it roots.

Right now I am digging up my low growing lavendar lantana. It wants to take over where I don't want it too. Multiplies like crazy. I am trying to give it away.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner