Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattie108

Yucca plants

mattie108
11 years ago

Anyone know how Yucca plants do in containers? I am thinking of putting Bright Edge in 18x18" containers on either side of my garage door, on the east side of the house. Any comments?

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

These can be grown in containers, with some caveats. First of all, the container needs to have feet or a rim around the bottom so that the water can freely drain from the hole. It seems like that pot size is small for such a rhizomatous plant. And you'll have to make or find a very porous potting mix. I wouldn't use a run of the mill typical bagged potting soil for yucca.

• mattie108
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, rhizo_1. I appreciate the input! I think I will heed your advice and put something else in those pots. Just got to figure out what! Thanks again.

11 years ago

The eastern side of my home becomes shaded fairly early on as the sun rises in the sky. Plantings very near the home are in the shade of the house overhang by mid morning. Is that your situation? The amount of hours of direct sunlight matters enormously when selecting your container plants.

What kind of containers are they....what are they made of? And are you looking for a permanent, evergreen plant (like your yucca), or a seasonal splash of interest and color?

If you want, some of us love to help make container suggestions! With answers to some of the questions I asked, you might get all kinds of neat suggestions.

I'd forgotten about that Yucca. I'm going to add two or three to my full sun locations this season. Thanks for the inspiration.

• mattie108
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhizo, sounds like yours is a good brain to pick! Once this wet weather moves through I'll take a picture and email it to you (it'll say sunshinesouth2004 in your inbox). I have a lovely book about container gardening, but I like to get "local" advice just the same. The pots are plastic (not as pretty as some materials but also not as expensive and not as heavy!). I punched out the drain holes, laid in a piece of window screen, a layer of rocks on top of that and then good potting soil, so they drain well. Right now pansies are keeping them occupied until I make a decision for the warmer months. I'm not committed to evergreens, necessarily. In fact I'm thinking hibiscus might be nice, with maybe something smaller or 'trailing" around the periphery. Thank you for your reply. Doesn't it seem like spring will never get here this year? Looks like another wet cold weekend.

11 years ago

Mattie, there are lots of good 'brains to pick' in this forum! Trust me on that.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Aren't these plants spiny at the leaf tips? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing...

11 years ago

Most Yucca species have nasty pointed tips but this one is a Yucca filamentosa cultivar...much nicer to have around! Isn't it pretty?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Goog showed me some pretty yellow-striped leaves. I could use some of those here. Good to know they aren't "ouchy." I was worried about that near someone's garage.

Sponsored