Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese aralia

Posted by loveofmylife680 z7 al (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 19, 06 at 12:55

Does anyone know where I can find these local? There are rather pricey so I would rather find them local then paying shipping cost also.
Jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese aralia

• Posted by nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 19, 06 at 21:17

Jill,

Are you talking about Fatsia japonica, aka Japanese aralia? If so, Hazel's Backyard Haven in Chelsea sells them cheaper than any place I've ever been, usually in 3-gallon pots.

I planted 8-10 as foundation plants on the north side of my house in deep shade, where little else would be happy. They are one of the best-looking, most care-free plants I grow. They have odd blooms that hang around all winter, and by spring I have tons of little black berries (which, strangely enough, I've never tried germinating). Although a hard freeze will take out some tender new growth, it will quickly be replaced in spring. A neat, easy, tropical-looking plant that deserves more widespread use! Can you tell I love 'em?! ;-)

Best of luck,

Nelson

o

THANK YOU THANK YOU I just love the look of the plant, do you have her phone number cant find it in the yellow pages? They are so pretty to me I have been wanting some for 2 years now.
Jill

o

Mon, Mar 20, 06 at 22:27

Jill,

I spoke to Joseph, the owner of Hazel's, last night after I made the post (I won't tell him he's a "her"! LOL!) and he confirmed he has 7 or 8 pots of fatsia. His number is 678-8824. I think you'll enjoy a trip to his unusual nursery.

Nelson

o

Such a pretty plant. I miss them from SC, where they were much used in the landscape. I do want to warn you that deer love these plants. Con mucho gusto! So much so that Fatsia has pretty much disappeared from the gardens and parks of areas with a population of hungry deer. Just a little warning....hopefully not pertinent in your neck of the woods! :-)

o

Nelson, Once again thank you for the info. I called him today and told him I would be out there either fri or sat might wait till sat because he is there I think thats what he told me. Sure did enjoy talking with him. We started talking about people who plant something in one spot but by the next year they move it [does that ring a bell lol] I am doing that alot too. He spoke very highly of you. Well I owe you one on this great place, the prices are great also.
Jill B.

o

Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 21:40

Just a little heads-up...anyone who speaks highly of me loses all credibility! LOL! ;-D

Enjoy your trip to "Hazel's"...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here