Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcb77

Antiques, Flea Markets & Junkin' Roadtrips

bcb77
18 years ago

Hey everybody!

One of my favorite passtimes (besides gardening, of course) is antiqueing and flea market hunting. I would love to hear any suggestions y'all may have of great places to go in AL and surrounding areas. I'm south of BHam, but willing to travel. I love the Jemison Trade Center and the Atlanta Lakewood flea market.

I'm in love with the stuff at Myers in Pelham - the rusty old ironworks combined with weathered wood in the garden. I would love to copy that look for less. :o)

Any thoughts?

Comments (9)

• cockybamagirl
    18 years ago

Hm...you sound like a person I would love. Junking is my latest hobby. I do mostly Saturday yard sales. I love to turn old junk into something good. Have you tried the garden junk forum or the trash to treasure forum. There are lots of ideas there. Where is the Jemison Trade Center?
    What are some things you have done. I am in the process of refinishing an old trunk that I got at a yard sale. ($5.00) I have tons on unfinished projects. My husband it getting perturbed as the garage is quite full. I am into mosaics. i buy old plates at yard sales and break them to mosaic stuff with. So far i have put mosaic on a bowling ball (yard sale $1.00) Covered a tea cart (yard sale $2.00) mosaiced a bird bath....(birthday present from husband bought the old fashioned way!)

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

You might want to check out Mountain Top Flea Market - Gadsden area - on weekends, but don't remember how often.

Down here in Central Alabama we have "Santuck Flea Market" - a lot of stuff - some junk - some antiques - plants - crafts - you name it. Santuck Flea Mkt
    7300 Central Plank Rd Wetumpka, AL 36092

Have you checked out the Scottsboro place - where all unclaimed baggage goes - you never know what you might find - that is in Jackson County, NE corner of the state.

Here is a link that might be useful: AL Flea Markets

• bcb77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cockybamagirl - Jemison Trade Center is right off I-65 at the Jemison exit on County Road 44. Its a huge place with tons of booths. I go about once every three months. Very cool place! :)

I've taken a $17 chair that I bought from a side of the road junk dealer and turned it into an awesome purple funky chair with some retro fabric. My husband and I buy old wooden windows and turn them into shadowboxes. Here's one that he made me for a wedding gift:
    {{gwi:359840}}

:o) Together we love to make stuff from trash to treasure.

Rosey - I appreciate those links! I'll check them out.

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

Glad i could help - and I LOVE that shadowbox...

• bcb77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:359841}}

Here's another window we turned into a table. It has our wedding album inside. (Can ya tell we're semi-newlyweds?) :o)

He also built this desk unit for me:
    {{gwi:359842}}

I LOVE doing projects like this and luckily my husband enjoys it too. I would like to take this shabby chic look into my garden and add some unique touches like this. So far all I've gotten are some wrought iron plant holders on my fence:

{{gwi:359843}}

We're sloooowly but surely getting our flowerbeds and yard into shape. We just moved into our home last year so we've got a lot of work ahead of us.

I'd love to share any ideas that y'all have!

Beth

• JOEL_alabama
    18 years ago

There'a also the world's longest yardsale (2 of 'em now-see their website), the Collinsville flea market, Bhm Fairgrounds Flea Mkt (this weekend), Lacon F.M., Gardendale flea mall, and another in Leeds, Garden City and Woodstock Antique Auctions (website), .....

I collect antique bicycles, furnature,and household items myself as well as garden junk. Some of the best finds came from the curb on trash day. Found lots of cool stuff just driving around in the country as well.

I heard Lakewood in Atlanta is closing. Anyone know the details? Best FM around :(

• sunflower123
    17 years ago

COULD YOU TELL ABOUT THE FLEA MARKET LOCATED IN BIRMINGHAM,I WOULD LIKE TO GO TO IT. HEAR IT WAS A BIG ONE. I THINK SOMEONE SAID IT'S NAME IS FARMER'S MARKET.

• bcb77
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sunflower - here is general info on all the ones in and around Bham.

BESSEMER - - FRI-SUN
    Bessemer Flea Market. 1013 - 8th Avenue. North. Exit 112 off I-59. Behind McDonalds restaurant. Hours: 8am to 5 pm. Average attendance 10,000 per weekend. Averages 450 vendors. Wide variety of goods at this market, crafts, collectibles, new merchandise, great bargains can be found here from electronics to sportswear. Food and beverage concessions. Restrooms, h/a. Inside and outside spaces from $6. Camping available with electricity. Camping and motels nearby. Can make reservations for space. c/p Beverly Morton. Box 805. 35020. (205) 425-8510.

BIRMINGHAM - - FRI-SUN
    Dixie Land Flea & Farmers Market. 3000 Highway 25 S. Average weekend attendance of 25,000+. Indoor and outdoor market, with covered spaces and approximately 300 dealers. New merchandise, sportswear, housewares, antiques, collectibles, country items, crafts. Snack bars, restrooms, h/a. Space from $6. Overnight camping avail $2. Showers on grounds. (205) 672-2022 or (800) 440-4125.

BIRMINGHAM - - DAILY
    Farmers & Flea Market. Hours: 8am to 5pm. 344 Finley Ave W. Indoor/outdoor market with approx 50 dealers. Lots of produce, used merchandise, some new items and lots of locally made crafts. Restrooms, snack bar. (205) 251-8737. Fax: (205) 251-8106.

BIRMINGHAM - - DAILY
    Jefferson County Farmers Market. Free adm & ample parking. 344 Finley Ave. W. Snack bar, restrooms. (205) 251-8737.

• sunflower123
    17 years ago

THANKS FOR THAT GREAT INFO