Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wizard_chef

Organic gardening products in Birmingham

wizard_chef
17 years ago

I am having trouble finding organic gardening products in Birmingham. My Home Depot has one tiny shelf with a few containers of bone meal amidst row after row of chemical pesticides and fertilizers.

Are there gardening centers near Birmingham selling organic products like fish emulsion, seaweed, etc.??

Comments (8)

• lsmcw
    17 years ago

I get some stuff at the Co-op, such as cottonseed meal in 40 pound bags and peat by the bale. Linda

• fredw10
    17 years ago

Forget about Home Depot and most nurseries. Find an old fashioned feed and seed store.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    17 years ago

Linda, Please tell me where the Co-op is. In addition to organic fertilizers I am also looking for iron phosphate based slug baits such as Sluggo or Escargo, which do not harm pets and kids. Thanks, Susan.

• lsmcw
    17 years ago

I live in Walker County and we have a Farmer's Co-op (like a feed and seed). There is one in Columbiana at 502 Hwy 70. There's also a co-op in Blount County, Cullman, and Ashford. There's a Feed and Seed in Ashford, Pell City, Oneonta, Vinemont and Springville. (I did an anywho.com search). Good luck, Susan

• braveheartfcf
    17 years ago

Last year Myers nursery in Pelham had a good selection of organic fertilizers, and most all of the other type organics that you will need. They even have green sand if you want to add trace minerals to your soil. If you have any questions, you might get lucky and find Steward. He's the man with the answers.
    In Wilsonville there is a place called Coosa Mills that is actually a seed/feed store that had a good selection of organics last year.

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Susan, take Hwy 280 East to the Chelsea Winn-Dixie. Turn right on to County Road 47 over to "downtown" Chelsea. Go through the light, staying on CR47. Go 2 or 3 miles down to an abandoned chicken house on the left. Turn in front of the chicken house on to CR 49. Follow CR 49 down to Hwy 25. Turn right like going to Columbiana. About a mile down the road there is a crazy intersection. Stay right and follw Hwy 25 bypass. The Co-op store is down the road on the left (unless they have moved). BTW, you can go all the way down to Harpersville and take a right on CR 25, goes through Wilsonville, but it seems longer to me.

• wizard_chef
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to all who responded. I'll have to get down to Chelsea. What about Massey's? They relocated and I have not been to the new location.

• down2earth
    17 years ago

Speaking of organic, does any one here use milogranite? If so I'd like to hear your comments.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery