Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamatufa

Palm trees now in at the Ala.Farmers Market

Bamatufa
14 years ago

The two vendors at the Alabama Farmers Market on Finley have begun to receive their spring shipments of tropicals and other plants.

Comments (16)

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

What varieties do they have?

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not sure what all they had.I recognized sago, roebellini, majesty, fish tail, what appeared to be a Pindo, and two or three others along with ferns and other plants.Last year they had the same along with bottle,queen, foxtail.

• haley45
    14 years ago

Are there a lot of plant venders at the Farmers Market? I always say that I want to go but have never made it down there.

• john_trussville
    14 years ago

Here are a few pics I snapped last w/e. In addition to what you see in the pics there are tons of blooming tropicals inside the buildings i.e. hibiscus, mandevilla, bougainvillea, oleander, shrimp plant...as well as knock-out roses, gardenias, philo selloum, ferns and others. Most everything is very reasonably priced.

haley45: I believe there are currently just the two tropical vendors there. If you go, just drive straight in & all the way to the back and hang a right, and you'll see the palms everywhere. And disregard the "wholesale only" signs posted. They'll sell to anyone.

{{gwi:359850}}

{{gwi:359852}}

{{gwi:359853}}

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went back this past Saturday with my pick-up and made my first purchases of the year.Three majestys and two roebellinis.Payday this week so I plan to go back.

• john_trussville
    14 years ago

bamatufa, did you get a couple of these roebellinis? Sure wish they were hardy here. They're a steal for $100.

{{gwi:359855}}

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know ! I saw one Saturday I wanted. The big ones catch my eyes everytime I drive in there. I had to settle for the offspring babies in 14 inch pots. I saw the size I purchased in a local nursery for $99 each.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    13 years ago

I see people plant those Pygmy dates every year and they always get killed by a freeze (even down here at the FL line).

• john_trussville
    13 years ago

The two tropical plant vendors here at the farmer's market, Oakley Smith & Bobby Graves are totally honest with customers in regard to which palms they sell are cold hardy & which ones aren't. Still, a lot of folks like to buy the non-hardy ones just to have around their homes & pools to add a little tropical flair just for the summer.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just put two of my old Pygmy's in the ground that were on the decline. My plan is to protect them this winter but I may chicken-out and pull them up before winter hits.

• john_trussville
    13 years ago

I wish you luck on that endeavor. My experience with robellinis is that when they start declining they're almost impossible to revive. Since they never seem to over-winter very well indoors, I gave up on them years ago.

• chotty
    10 years ago

I m glad I found this page. I've wondered where this farmer's market was that sells Palms. I had planted two Windmill palms. One did great, one died. It looks bad at the front steps as a result. Also had bad luck with Pindo palms... Anyone know the prices of Windmill palms here? Are they there weekdays or SAturday only?
    Thanks!

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went by there this past Tuesday on my day off.They had a few palms but I heard Oakley on the phone placing an order for some more Robellini palms. Early part of March is the best time as far as selection but now may be a good time to will & deal with them on any that have not moved. Graves used to be open 24hrs. Oakley was open until 8p.m. or so. Both 7 days a week.Graves had their "Wholesale Only " sign put out but I beleive if you politely approach the owners they will cut you a retail deal so do not be intimidated by the wholesale sign if you see a palm you want. Worst case they will tell you no but I have a feeling they will not.I bought from Graves last year and have spoken to them this year this past March when I went by there to look at new shipments.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

If ever you are driving to the beaches, keep in mind there's a palm tree farm a couple miles north of downtown Florala. They probably keep bankers' hours, so call ahead if you'd want to go by. Florala Palm Co.

They have pindo palms, sago palms, crepe myrtles. I know nothing about palms, but was looking for a website. Didn't find one, but found several business listings sites that said such.

I don't know if buying one directly from a place like this would be significantly less expensive or not. ...or if it would fit between the kids in the back seat. LOL! That saves me, never even stopped by, but driving by is great for fantasizing!

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chotty, did you make it by the Farmers Market?

• chotty
    9 years ago

I plan on going this month. It's been a while. Hope they're still selling.
    I see several yards in B'ham that have very healthy prickly pear cactus as well I want to look into. Also giant green Elephant ears seem to do well.