Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are the trees in bloom?

Posted by dnr24 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 13:19

When driving along the interstate, the woods are spotted with trees with white blooms. Anyone know what this tree is? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are the trees in bloom?

You are most likely referring to the (dreaded) Callery pear, a result of the much overused Bradford pear and its relatives gone wild. The Bradford is one of the Callery pears, as are Aristocrat, Cleveland Select, and others.

Unfortunately, not only are these ornamental trees prone to collapsing and falling apart after a very few few years, but their wild offspring have become an invasive species in most of the locations where they have been planted.

Callery pears are on the Invasive Plant list in many of the southern states, and Alabama is a perfect example of why.

Some people say that the flowers of the Bradford smell like pee, but I don't think it's THAT bad! More like the inside of an unwashed middle school boy's locker.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for more information

o

I agree with rhizo, but serviceberries are blooming, too. (Or were; I think they are finishing up now.) Their blooms look pretty similar from a distance.

And you can eat the berries, unlike Bradford's.

o

• Posted by nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 22:43

These trees dominate the landscape along Highway 280 from Harpersville to Childersburg and beyond, I'm sure.

They are a lovely sight in spring while in bloom, but they are scary. Like I said - they dominate the landscape, much like Chinese privet and/or kudzu.

It's very sad that non-native, "introduced" plants are destroying our natives...

Nelson

o

White (and pink) dogwoods are also in bloom now.

o

Dogwoods are just barely starting to bud in northern Alabama. It'll be a few weeks yet up here, but I'm looking forward to it. Dogwoods are one of my very favorite trees, year-round.

o

We've been watching the buds on our Carolina Silverbell get bigger and bigger with each passing day. SO lovely when in bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here