Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nigella_gw

Does anybody recognize this cross vine?

Nigella
19 years ago

I have been trying to find an ID for this Bignonia capreolata for years without any luck. I've never seen one with this exact coloration anywhere else and would love to know more about it. I traded some species gladiolus with a local nursery for this plant but the nursery folks could only tell me that it's a cross vine. Does anybody recognize it?

{{gwi:359874}}

Comments (14)

• tsmith2579
    19 years ago

I am not a fan of cross vines. Too many are a washed out orangey color. This one is absolutely the most b-yoot-i-full color I have ever seen in a cross vine. I hope you have take cuttings so you will never lose it.

• lsmcw
    19 years ago

ZOWIE! Most definetly try to propagate that rascal. Linda

• ourhighlandhome
    19 years ago

The closest I could come was 'Tangerine Beauty'....

Here is a link that might be useful: Bignonia 'Tangerine Beauty'

• Nigella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everybody, it's a real head scratcher alright. It isn't Tangerine Beauty, I don't think, here are side by side views of them. TB is on the left, my vine's on the right. TB has a solid yellow throat while mine has the yellow in stripey streaks. The deep pink is streaked through the corolla, too.

{{gwi:359875}}{{gwi:359877}}

• Nigella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank again for the suggestions and comments.,When I mentioned it to my friend today she asked me if it wasn't 'Pink Lemonade'. I googled Bignonia 'Pink Lemonade' and came up empty handed, so to speak, but one of the links had a nice picture of {{gwi:359873}} and I'm almost convinced that that is what this vine is. Thanks so much for all the suggestions, I do appreciate your efforts!

I will be sticking cuttings after it blooms, anybody want their name on one?

• LoraxDave
    19 years ago

Nigella, does yours rebloom to a fair degree?? 'Jekyll' throws out a few blooms for much of the season after the initial Spring flush. I had Jekyll at my previous home and don't recall it having that reddish-pink coloration. More orangey.

I know there is a red form that is sometimes available here called 'Shalimar Red.' Also, a couple of days ago, I saw a really nice form at Lowe's called 'Dragon Lady.' I had never seen this one before. It resembled your pic, but the thing I really noted was the strong fragrance. As I recall, 'Jekyll' is not fragrant.

• Nigella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Dave, it does rebloom and sometimes fairly heavily, no fragrance that I've noticed but it is right beside Ilex opaca which is blooming now, the fragrance tends to "dwarf" any others. I'll check.

• jann
    19 years ago

Nigella,Please put my name on apiece.Your picture is beautiful! Thanks

• nurseplant
    19 years ago

Today at Home Depot in Mobile (off Airport(, this plant was on display. I passed it by and then turned as I recogized it from the picture listed here. It was sort of pink-purple with the streaks of yellow. It was listed as a "Tangerine Beauty - Bignomia" Just thought I would let you know. The plant seemed to be in good condition.

• ksondy
    15 years ago

This looks like a "Dragon Lady" not a "Tangerine Beauty."

• Frog_hollow_lady
    15 years ago

O.K. what ever it is.. I would love a start...when a start is ready, e-mail me and I'll send pastage....
    thanks so much Jody

• newbie_fl_gardener
    14 years ago

It looks just like the "Shalimar Red" Crossvine I planted in Fall (it was a Home Depot clearance) and I still have the tag. Here is a pic, sorry the quality isn't great, it was foggy when I took it. Ok, so I just realized I have no idea how to post a picture on this forum. If y'all will tell me how I'll post it as soon as I can.

• reaverg
    14 years ago

newbie_fl_gardener: I use this website to get the 'code' right

Here is a link that might be useful: TRY IT

• k.autumn
    14 years ago

Yes. I have four of these red trumpet vines in my yard:

Common Name : DRAGON LADY
    http://www.paghat.com/trumpetcreeper.html

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
    Genus: Bignonia (big-NO-nee-uh) (Info)
    Species: capreolata (kap-ree-oh-LAH-tuh) (Info)
    Cultivar: Dragon Lady

Here is a link that might be useful: Trumpet crossover vine

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville