Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anybody recognize this cross vine?

Posted by Nigella 9a-steamy (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 05 at 13:22

I have been trying to find an ID for this Bignonia capreolata for years without any luck. I've never seen one with this exact coloration anywhere else and would love to know more about it. I traded some species gladiolus with a local nursery for this plant but the nursery folks could only tell me that it's a cross vine. Does anybody recognize it?

click here to see more pictures of my cross vine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anybody recognize this cross vine?

I am not a fan of cross vines. Too many are a washed out orangey color. This one is absolutely the most b-yoot-i-full color I have ever seen in a cross vine. I hope you have take cuttings so you will never lose it.

o

ZOWIE! Most definetly try to propagate that rascal. Linda

o

• Posted by Nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 23, 05 at 15:07

The closest I could come was 'Tangerine Beauty'....

Here is a link that might be useful: Bignonia 'Tangerine Beauty'

o

Thanks everybody, it's a real head scratcher alright. It isn't Tangerine Beauty, I don't think, here are side by side views of them. TB is on the left, my vine's on the right. TB has a solid yellow throat while mine has the yellow in stripey streaks. The deep pink is streaked through the corolla, too.

o

Thank again for the suggestions and comments.,When I mentioned it to my friend today she asked me if it wasn't 'Pink Lemonade'. I googled Bignonia 'Pink Lemonade' and came up empty handed, so to speak, but one of the links had a nice picture of B.c. 'Jeckyll' and I'm almost convinced that that is what this vine is. Thanks so much for all the suggestions, I do appreciate your efforts!

I will be sticking cuttings after it blooms, anybody want their name on one?

o

Nigella, does yours rebloom to a fair degree?? 'Jekyll' throws out a few blooms for much of the season after the initial Spring flush. I had Jekyll at my previous home and don't recall it having that reddish-pink coloration. More orangey.

I know there is a red form that is sometimes available here called 'Shalimar Red.' Also, a couple of days ago, I saw a really nice form at Lowe's called 'Dragon Lady.' I had never seen this one before. It resembled your pic, but the thing I really noted was the strong fragrance. As I recall, 'Jekyll' is not fragrant.

o

Dave, it does rebloom and sometimes fairly heavily, no fragrance that I've noticed but it is right beside Ilex opaca which is blooming now, the fragrance tends to "dwarf" any others. I'll check.

o

Nigella,Please put my name on apiece.Your picture is beautiful! Thanks

o

Today at Home Depot in Mobile (off Airport(, this plant was on display. I passed it by and then turned as I recogized it from the picture listed here. It was sort of pink-purple with the streaks of yellow. It was listed as a "Tangerine Beauty - Bignomia" Just thought I would let you know. The plant seemed to be in good condition.

o

This looks like a "Dragon Lady" not a "Tangerine Beauty."

o

O.K. what ever it is.. I would love a start...when a start is ready, e-mail me and I'll send pastage....
thanks so much Jody

o
It's a 'Shalimar Red'

It looks just like the "Shalimar Red" Crossvine I planted in Fall (it was a Home Depot clearance) and I still have the tag. Here is a pic, sorry the quality isn't great, it was foggy when I took it. Ok, so I just realized I have no idea how to post a picture on this forum. If y'all will tell me how I'll post it as soon as I can.

o

newbie_fl_gardener: I use this website to get the 'code' right

Here is a link that might be useful: TRY IT

o

Yes. I have four of these red trumpet vines in my yard:

Common Name : DRAGON LADY
http://www.paghat.com/trumpetcreeper.html

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bignonia (big-NO-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: capreolata (kap-ree-oh-LAH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dragon Lady

Here is a link that might be useful: Trumpet crossover vine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here