Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imadabbla

Question about pampas grass

imadabbla
18 years ago

I have a couple of these in my front yard. They are huge. They just keep getting bigger. As the leaves wilt they fall over and clump up in the center. Should I cut them down once a year? I don't have a clue how to take care of them. They start looking wooly after a while.

One year we burned them down. You can't destroy them no matter what. They just came back more with more fury that ever.

What can I do to keep them under control?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• vickibre2003
    18 years ago

Your plant is beautiful, I just bought a tiny one yesterday, I am going to be very careful where I plant it after seeing how big they can get. How long did it take your plant to get that size ?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Pampas grass can be cut to a rounded shape (not a flat top) easily with a chain saw. You may end up cutting all but 2 feet of the plant, which will regrow rapidly. The proper time to do this is after all threat of freezing temperatures are over.

You can also separate your plant, though it sounds like you don't exactly want any MORE of the darned things, lol.

Pampasgrass should always be given plenty of room in the landscape, something that most folks learn too late.

• imadabbla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Vicki~The pic is not actually my plant. It is a photo on the GW database. :~) Mine are larger and more scraggly looking. The "blooms" are old and dried up, not nice and fluffy like the pic. Mine also have a bunch of dried leaves around the bottom. They need help!

We moved into this house 7 years ago and the plants were already quite large at that time. They grow pretty fast because we burned them to the ground a couple of years ago and now they are larger than before we burned them.

I would be very careful about where I planted them. They are beautiful plants but they can eventually block your view of something else if planted in say...your front yard.

Best of luck with yours. Enjoy it!

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

if you want to destroy them, certain herbicides do work. i found the round-up concentrate(with a few drops of liquid soap added) to be effective at this.
    i am not a big fan of these plants but to each his own. mine got so large that it was overtaking the driveway and the plumes always seemed to get ruined by heavy rains (they would clump together and turn black from fungus). that is when i discovered that the practice of "slash and burn" agriculture does have its place on the planet! *lol*

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

IMA, several years ago I was trying to trim my pampas grass. The stems are tough. Hand clippers and electric clippers just don't "cut it". I had a brilliant idea that has worked ever since. Use your chain saw. I crank it up and use the chain saw to cut through the grass. I usually cut it back about now and fertilize it. It comes back ever larger and prettier. I just rake the leaves and let the city pick them up.

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

Hey Terry - what do you fertilize the PG with?

• imadabbla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I'm not sure that I want to get rid of them yet, maybe I'll cut them down and see how they look when they come back. Maybe I'd be able to decide then. I actually like them, I just wish they weren't so big.

• vickibre2003
    18 years ago

Thank you all for your thoughts,I planted my PG today on a hill up by the pond, it will not be in the way of anything up there and I can still see it good from my kitchen.....I had a Fig tree planted there last year that died so this is a large area for it to grow..........I like the chain saw idea, I noticed that most people have them at the end of the driveway,I would worry about it getting too big there so this will be a safe place, it can grow as big as it wants....

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

Rosey, I just use whatever I have - 8-8-8 or 10-10-10. Any good lawn fertilizer is ok. If you want it to really bloom, add some Epsom salts and super-phosphate.

Sponsored