Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kolet66

Just wanted to say Hello

kolet66
12 years ago

Hello!

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Kim and I live in Helena. I would love to meet other gardeners in Alabama to learn and grow from/with.

I am a veggie/herb gardener with a HUGE yard full of very hard chirt so I used raised beds. I am hoping over the next few years to really develop my back yard with flowers. Id just like to make it my own little oasis. It is currently a blank slate. My minimal expertise lean toward the vegetable and herbs so it should be an exerience.

I grew up in the mid-west and have lived in AL for a bit over 8 years. I am finally learning to adjust my planting to the season so I can actually harvest some things before they get scorched.

I look forward to meeting you!

Kim

Comments (8)

• madabouteu
    12 years ago

The first thing that I want to do is to invite you to the Swap Meet May 5 at Oak Mountain State Park - easy driving distance from where you are! Don't worry if you have nothing to swap, you will meet a lot of nice people and probably will go home with a lot of plants anyway!

Where from in the Midwest? I am an Alabama native but spent a lot of time in Nebraska and Oklahoma.

• catbird
    12 years ago

Welcome to Alabama gardening. I second Kenneth's invitation to the plant swap. You can bring some veggies or herbs if you have any to spare, but don't worry about it if you don't. Just bring yourself and a dish to share for lunch (watch for posts about that later). People will have extra plants which they'll be glad to donate to your new garden. Hope to see you then.

Alice

• kolet66
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello! Thank you for the info on the plant swap.. AND right down the road from me too! Since it is in May I will go ahead and get some extra seeds started so I will have some transplants to trade. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Madabouteu (Kenneth??) I grew up in Central Illinois smack in the middle of farm country. The soil there is dark and rich. I've spent some time living in SC and ND too... garden in each area. I have to say that I am a southerner at heart though and I don't miss the winter one bit.

Kim

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Welcome to Al. !

• madabouteu
    12 years ago

Kenneth is the name on my birth certificate, I grow a lot of succulent Euphorbias and - being an avid punster - made a pun on the old TV show's name for my screen name here.

As you may have guessed, Catbird and I know each other well.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Hi from down near FL! Always nice to meet another transplant. I moved here from OH 5 years ago. Welcome to gardenweb & hope u have as much fun chatting and gardening as the rest of us.

• User
    12 years ago

Welcome from the Mobile area too.
    I've been on GWeb for many years now, but for the last 5 or 6 have split my time between Alabama and Massachusetts. This year, after that long split-year period, I'll be gardening totally southern style!!

It is a great gardening zone, where you live, still get some cold weather effect, but also enjoy pushing the zone a bit.

Always nice to have new voices chime into the discussions.

• Apple911
    11 years ago

Kim, Alice isn't kidding when she says you will probably go home with plants. I didn't have a whole lot to trade last year, but I left the back of my car open. Walked away to check out everybody's plant and came back to a car FULL of plants.

Sponsored