Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stacking Fieldstone for walls?

Posted by georgiagal 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 14:15

I'm in B'ham & just discovered this section of Gardenweb...how fun to exchange ideas with others in AL. I've only lived here a little over a year (from GA...hence my name) & we have a lot of work to do in our yard. We'd like to build a small stacking stone wall in the frontyard & I wondered if anyone has a good source in B'ham for those...best price and all? Thanks for any help or tips you can give me.

I'll probably be back to ask lots more questions about plants & other things too. We have a lot of work to do in this yard. I started a couple of small beds last year, so I'm anxious to get going on more plantings this year!

Thanks for any help you can give me on a good fieldstone source.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stacking Fieldstone for walls?

Know there is a place in Oneonta but the name of it I cant remember.Someone here once mentioned it for someone else maybe they will respond. If I remember I will get back with you. You can search buy putting your question under the search on this site then you will have to research the different post for your ?
Jill

o

Thanks, loveofmylife...it's funny you mentioned Oneonta. One of my neighbors just put in a fieldstone low wall in his frontyard & as I was walking by the other day, I asked him about his source for stones & he said he went to Oneonta! Guess the prices must be way better there, so I'll probably have to check it out & see. Might be worth the trip after all! I was hoping to find a good deal locally.

o

There are severial stone co. north of Oneonta, pass Walmart.
I got some of my stone from Lamb stone Co.
Tony

o

I just completed some flower bed borders in my yard using fieldstone. We got two pallets of rock at Myers Plants in Pelham. They have a great selection, but price wise may not be the cheapest. They were $235 for a 3/4 ton pallet. You haul.

Here is the completed project:

o
My beds

OH wait! One more bed. I put in too much work to leave this pic out. Now if I can just get some stuff growing in there. :o)

o

Looks good, bcb...we checked out Pikes & John Deere landscape, but might have to check out Meyers too. Your stone looks nice! Or, going to Oneonta is not out of the question either.

Thanks for all the input!

o

Go down Hwy 280 East to Lloyd's BBQ. There is a bait shop, gas station, grocery, landscaping and excavating supplies store across the highway called Perrins. There is a white and blue PURE Oil sign in the lot. They have pallets of rocks outside.

o

Is old Mr. Perrin still working the little store there? He is such a character! I think his son runs the rock/gravel business there.
The Perrins are good people.

o

Oh, tssmith...I know just where that place is. We didn't price them yet, but will have to stop & do so. Thanks for the info! We still may end up driving to Oneonta if the prices are better there.

o

Hey, Georgiagal. We went to Oneonta to look at rock during our build. There are three stoneyards right there together once you get to Oneonta. Lamb Stone Co, Brown Stone and Oneonta Stone. There's another one called Alabama Wholesale Stone.

Closer is Garner Stone. It will cost you more there but you can see the types of stone. Of course, Pike's is closer to you. fyi, you can always go somewhere and find out the exact name of the stone you want and call the Oneonta places on the phone to have them deliver.

We just bought three dump truck loads of bark from Perrin's and the old man wasn't there. I think his health has really detetriorated over the past year.

o

I wanted to just say thanks for the great pics, bcb. I was debating brick vs. "castle wall" for a project and wasn't too fond of the idea of either, but your pics showed me exactly the look I was going for. I didn't even think about natural rock. Brain freeze, I guess.

For those price shopping, Sparks Stone Yard in Decatur is selling thin stack fieldstone for $225 per ton, plus a very reasonable delivery fee.

o

For those folks in this area The Rock Store in Columbus is great. I got Tennessee Fieldstone 1 1/2 Tons delivered here in Opelika for 450.00. Here is a pic of what I have done so far...I have actually restacked this again since the pic. as i now know how to get the even look I was after...it takes a while to get the 2/1 configuration but when you do it is quite steady.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here