Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madabouteu

Spring Swap - Good News!

madabouteu
14 years ago

I thought we needed a more appropriate title - everything looks good now. The local Alabama Co-op Horticulture Agent thinks it's a great idea; now I need to run the idea by the county extension co-ordinator, but she is out of the office until Monday. That is probably just a pro forma deal.

Several local master gardeners are interested in participating and we are encouraging them to do so. Betty Hall, who is in charge of greenhouse operations for the annual sale, will be there; if you have anything she wants to propagate for next year's sale, you may be able to strike a trade with her, and likewise you may see stuff left over from the sale that you want to buy. Prices should be very reasonable. There will be restrooms available!

Sorry, Top O' The River is not open until 4 PM. The Fish Market seems to be the best bet right now, especially if we want a room to ourselves.

Comments (7)

• catbird
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

For those who missed madabouteu's earlier thread, Petals from the Past can't take us for the swap till late May and several people expressed an interest in coming to East AL for a change, so we're setting things up to have the swap at the Master Gardener greenhouses in Gadsden on May 8. Our plant sale will be over by then (though there may be some plants left over), so there will be plenty of room inside one of the greenhouses if it rains. We'll post directions and more details later. Alice

• sinai
    14 years ago

Looking forward to the Spring Swap and meeting you folks......I rode by your place on Saturday on my way up to Boaz and saw the new greenhouse, looks great.

Paul

• madabouteu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, all the hurdles are cleared! The swap wil be at the Master Gardener greenhouses in Gadsden, May 8. We will give directions later.

• catbird
    14 years ago

For plant swap newbies: Welcome to the group! Don't be put off because you haven't figured out how this works or because you don't have plants to bring. Maybe this information will help:

WHEN? Sat. May 8, 10:00 until . . . (we're always done by lunchtime.) See other postings for directions to the location.

WHAT TO BRING? In short, anything garden related.
    YOURSELF: If you're a newbie to gardening and don't have anything to bring, just come. These are generous, helpful folks and there will be lots of extras they'll give you -- and tell you how to grow them.
    PLANTS if you have any. When you divide your perennials this spring, pot up extras. Securely label each plant with the name and cultivar (if you know it). Any additional information (like whether it's sun or shade, whether it likes soil moist or dry, . . .) will be appreciated, but isn't necessary. If you do cuttings, try to get them pretty well established before the swap, but fresh unrooted cuttings are accepted too.
    SEEDS
    POTS
    GARDENING BOOKS
    GARDEN ORNAMENTS
    PLANT STAKES
    POTTING SOIL
    WHATEVER ;-)
    BUT NO CASH except for lunch. We don't sell anything.

HOW TO ARRANGE SWAPS?
    First, don't worry about it. You can just go around and see what's there and work out swaps on the spot. There will be lots of that done.

To prearrange swaps: Most people will list their "haves" and "wants" on their exchange pages then post a notice on this thread or on the Exchange linked below saying they have done that. At the top of their postings you will see their screen names and links to "My Page". Click on that link, then at the next screen click on "See my trade list." If you see anything in the "haves" list that you want, and/or something in the "wants" list that you can bring, send the person an email or reply posting on the original thread explaining what you would like to do. Bring a list of the swaps you arrange and put names on the plants to be swapped.

When you join gardenweb (no cost, just fill out the form) a "My Page" page will be created for you with a link to your exchange page. To get to it can be a little confusing at first, but is easy once you have done it. Go back to the "Gardening in Alabama" page, click on the "Instructions" link at the top of the page, then on the "member services page", then on "Edit Your Exchange Lists". (It's more complicated to explain than it is to do it once you know where to start.) You will get to a form to fill in what you have and want. You can update your list any time.

Set up: You can bring a table or wheelbarrow if you want to or just put plants on the ground or in your trunk. Be sure to separate the plants you receive from the ones you brought and make it clear which ones are available for trades. This year if it rains we can probably all get in one of the greenhouses, so don't let the weather keep you away. There will be a restroom available, but bring water or drinks if you want them. A lot of us will go to the Fish Market for lunch after the swap. Great food and not just fish.

COME JOIN US. ("Old hands": Have I missed anything?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Exchanges Page

• catbird
    14 years ago

The plant swap will be at the Master Gardeners greenhouses behind the building that houses the Etowah County Board of Education and the Etowah County Extension Center.

For those who have GPS navigation systems ["teenagers" as a friend calls them: "They know everything."] the address is 3200 W Meighan Blvd, Gadsden, AL 35904.

For everyone else:
    From MONTGOMERY take I65 to I459 in Birmingham; turn right (east) and go all the way around to I59 North toward Gadsden. See * below.

From TUSCALOOSA or BIRMINGHAM, take I59 N to Gadsden. See * below.

From TALLADEGA, take 77 N to intersection with I59. Turn onto I59 N (sign will say toward Chattanooga). See * below

* FROM I59: There are three exits in the Gadsden area. Go to Exit 183, which is actually in Attalla.
    Exit right, go straight across the first intersection (Cleveland/Forrest Avenue) and the railroad track.
    Turn right (east) onto Meighan Blvd/HY431/278 toward Gadsden. Go 1.2 miles.
    Youll pass N 33rd St. , then Daystar Church on the right.
    Just past the church, turn right through the gate and follow the parking lot around the left of the Etowah County School Board office. Head for the greenhouses straight in front of you.

From HUNTSVILLE/GUNTERSVILLE/BOAZ: Take US-431 South through Attalla. After you pass under I59, go 1.2 miles. (YouÂll be on Meighan Blvd.)
    Pass N 33rd St. , then Daystar Church on the right. Just past the church, turn right through the gate and follow the parking lot around the left of the Etowah County School Board office. Head for the greenhouses straight in front of you.

• catbird
    14 years ago

If you're coming, be sure to add your name to the list on the thread linked below so we'll have an idea of how many to expect. Looks like it'll be a good group.

• daffodillady
    13 years ago

Bumping up the directions just in case some one may be looking for information (-: