Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what the heck?

Posted by rhizo_1 7a AL (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 16:14

It's snowing like crazy here in my part of Huntsville! Actually, it has snowed several times so far this afternoon, and not half hearted flurries, either. Almost to the point that I couldn't see across the street.

(I wonder if all the schools are preparing to close down, lol!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what the heck?

• Posted by nelson 8 in Alabama (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 21:45

rhizo,

I hope you enjoyed it - you might as well have. You had snow, now your plants get frozen. My plants get frozen without the beauty of a snowfall. Either way we wake up to a damaged landscape. So much for being reclassified as "Zone 8".

I've had more damage to my yard this year than any in the past 16 years I've been gardening. I'll pick up the pieces in the next few weeks and happily work with what's left.

Wishing you the best....but betting we'll both be using four-letter words in the morrow!

Nelson ;-D

o

We always get a late frost/blackberry winter. It's still 3 weeks until our frost free date here in Huntsville.

I covered my lettuce, peas and radishes, although only the lettuce probably really needed it. My one concern is my smooth hydrangeas. They died back to the ground with the below zero weather I got, and were sprouting up from the roots again. I piled leaves over them, but I'm not sure how effective that will be. Getting zapped back might be more stress that they can take while they are so young.

o

Frost here last night. Looks like the last - I hope!!!

o

Howdy Nelson....I haven't put a single tender plant yet, are you cwazy? Our average last frost date isn't until mid-April and I'll probably wait until the end of the month. :-)

I do have my hardy stuff like kale, green peas, spinach, etc. growing but my spring and summer annuals and tomatoes are still being toted back inside at night!

I have no idea what we've lost as far as the woody plants go. I will say that my big Osmanthus fragrans is very damaged. Boohoo. That happened over those 4° nights. What a wicked winter.

o

I'm skeptical its our last frost up here, but it's about right for that to have been our last hard freeze. At least I hope so.

I have seedlings I may need to repot since they've been so vigorous this year. My peppers and toms are a month old and 6" tall!

P.S. I could have sworn I saw a hummingbird zoom by the window today. Some of the maps are showing them this far north. Poor guys must be freezing their tail feathers off.

This post was edited by alabamanicole on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 20:38

o

I put my potted plants outside today, windows are open. The worst night in the 10-day is 42, though hardly a drop of sunshine in the whole thing. It's been almost 5 months that they were inside, the longest ever since I've lived here (starting an 8th year.) By this time in past years, the yard was already 'landscaped' with annuals. Obviously just lucky, I remember kvetching about 3 mornings of frost at the end of last March too.

Sorry about your Osmanthus, Rhizo!

As far as I can tell, all of my elephant ears (Colocasia esculenta) are mushy where exposed. I haven't gone poking around under the surface, hopefully at least 1 is still alive underground somewhere. Darn thing - the 'big 'mama,' why would it pull itself UP like that? I thought it was pretty covered in leaves, but there's a big, mushy thing sticking up.

Strangely enough, some Boston ferns in the ground are still alive, didn't think that was possible.

Getting ready to dig it all up and move it about 1/2 mile. Just hope everything's UP by the end of April! This should be it, the last start-over. I'd prefer to just talk about starting new gardens instead of doing so much of it!

o

Boston ferns are surprisingly cold hardy, taking temperatures below freezing. So are spider plants (Chlorophytum spp.) if you don't already know that.

o

I can remember it snowing around the first week of April in (I think) 1968. Didn't stay on the ground but about a day, but it was sure cold enough to kill whatever was coming up. I wasn't gardening at that time.

Nicole, or anyone, I was about to post something about hummingbirds. Anyone seen any for real? I usually use our friends in the south as a gauge for putting out my feeders. It's been so cold I haven't put them out yet and have not heard of any here yet either. With the warmer weather, there sure could be a few flying through any time.

o

I'm putting one feeder out today to see if anyone stops in for a snack. After being scolded last year by a hummingbird for neglecting to keep HER feeder up for her when she came back, I don't want to repeat that mistake! :)

o

Yesterday a hummer came by the window, probably my imagination, but seemed like it was looking for the feeders that were there last year. Since we're moving in a few weeks, I've decided to not do any feeders here, which I think would be more confusing to the birds when we leave (if I were to start now, then stop.) When we start sleeping at the other house, I'll put them up over there. Does anybody know how to give directions to a hummer? LOL!

Thanks, Rhizo! The ferns Mom puts in the ground have always been killed before, except last winter ('12/'13.) Dunno why some decided to live through in my yard this past awful winter, but I'm glad. I forgot about the one potted one when bringing pots in last fall.

I've spent way too many hours digging up the spider plants she put in the ground. Don't ever want any of that hideous stuff again, nostalgia or not. And wish there had been somebody with clean hands to take pics of the asparagus ferns I dug up Sunday. Giant, amazing root systems with bulbs on them. I probably missed some of those, might be more digging to do in a few weeks if those can keep growing. I dumped the stupid potted one too. I was surprised I didn't have to go back after the spider plants, one dig got rid of those in fall of '12. I think that's the last of Mom's 'house plants' gone wild that I'll have to dig back up (after it's gotten to critical mass and she finally admits it needs to go.)

Why can't a "What the heck" winter kill these beasties?! Just some good stuff? Bah!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here