Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

Design feedback, please

alabamanicole
11 years ago

I had a terrible slope to maintain the way also the site of a lot of erosion. Upslope, I have mitigated the water flow coming from the rest of the mountain and have a new retaining wall on the downslope side. I need to extend the existing (but fairly new) planting bed to incorporate the new areas.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the draft plan, but I'm in particular needs for ideas for plants about 2' tall that are either deciduous evergreen or shrubby so that they stay above ground in winter and will help with erosion control, {{gwi:360211}}From Retaining wall project
{{gwi:360212}}From Retaining wall project
{{gwi:360213}}From Retaining wall project
{{gwi:360214}}From Retaining wall project
{{gwi:360215}}From Retaining wall project

Comments (6)

• alabamanicole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are hopefully easier to read and are zoom-able:

Left side: {{gwi:360216}}From Retaining wall project

Right side: {{gwi:360217}}From Retaining wall project

This post was edited by alabamanicole on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 17:25

• bulzi
    11 years ago

Looks like you have all your bases covered. Wonderful layout.
    Enjoyable times ahead from sunup to sundown.

The Japanese Maples are going to be fantastic.

There are three plants that I have enjoyed over the years that I did not see that you might enjoy. Variegated Solomon seal, Voodoo lily and Saxifraga stolonifera (strawberry begonia).

The first two will give you forgotten surprises each year and the strawberry begonia will give flowers that look like upside down bunny rabbits or falling angels.

joseph

• alabamanicole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, bulzi. The Japanese maples are already there (all the stuff in green is) so the bed extension has to work around them.

I've changed things up a bit, repeated some plants and added more texture

I'm sure there will be room for more small surprises mixed in. I'm not sure I have enough full shade left for the Solomon's Seal, but that's a plant I really like and didn't think about. Maybe by the bird feeder. I enjoy my spring ephemerals in the existing bed, but they sure don't last for long!

I'm ready to start work but it's snowing outside and a I need to kill all the turf first! Next step is to start buying plants and put them out there in pots and see what stuff looks like together.

Tackling such a large area is pretty daunting. {{gwi:360218}}From Retaining wall project
    {{gwi:360219}}From Retaining wall project

• sundog7
    11 years ago

The only problem I see is that you're doing all the work in the wrong yard. That's not my house!

Great job. Can't wait to see photos when it's all growing.

• AndrewMonroe
    11 years ago

sorry

This post was edited by AndrewMonroe on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 9:47

• alabamanicole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, guys. No one sees any problem plants for care or invasiveness? I'd prefer to keep this bed low maintenance.

I'm not real sure about those dwarf crepe myrtles -- they are awfully new and a lot of people seem to be unhappy with them. I'd prefer something evergreen in the spot, too. Besides... yucca next to crepe myrtle? Seems strange.

I'm not a birder but I do enjoy having birds around and I try to help out the birds, bees and bats -- they pay me back in pest control and entertainment.

If anyone noticed, I solved one problem of a tree that only gets 5' tall and is kinda skinny with a bottle tree. :) Then I had a coronary pricing them online. Anyone have a link to instructions on how to make one out of rebar? Or a suggestion where I can get one for a reasonable price?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?