Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

ADVICE: Ala. Power' Butchered My Trees

tsmith2579
17 years ago

Sylvia planted two water oak trees in our yard over 30 years ago. Nelson, Rosemary, Michelle and Lynn have all seen them. They are now very large and "shaded" almost the entire front yard. We planted a shade garden of hostas under them. Last Monday, Burford Tree Svc dropped by and asked Sylvia about trimming the trees in our front yard. By law they aren't required to ask but they usually do. Sylvia said it was OK but asked them not to "butcher" them. Ever since these trees have been big enough to interfere with the power lines, the tree-trimmers have cut a hole through the limbs to clear the lines but preserve the shade and basic structure of our trees. Thursday morning Burford Tree Service came by before 8:30 a.m. while Sylvia was takling our granddaughter to school(how convenient) and butchered our trees. They trimmed limbs which came across the driveway, PARALLEL to the power lines and in NO WAY interfered with the power lines. They trimmed limbs which went under qnd cleared the lines by more than 5 feet. Sylvia tried all day to get someone at APCO to call her but no one called back. I took a day off and we went to Birmingham on Friday a.m. to talk to someone face-to-face. He promised someone would contact us. Late Friday afternoon someone called. He stated that the tree cutters were certified, professional arborists and my trees would grow back. I told him the job done on these trees could have been done by an illegal immigrant day worker and it was not a professional job. I told him one limb stump was at least 8 inches wide and only 5 feet long. I don't hold out much hope for its recovery based on my background in botany/biology (majored) and personal experience with these trees. Then he smarted off by saying he guessed he was preaching to the professor who knows more about this than he does even with all of his years of experience. I told him no but I had trimmed limbs on these trees myself and learned the hard way that once the growing tips were trimmed the limbs often died back.

Does anyone have any legal insight into how the "right-of-way" laws work for utility companies? I mentioned to APCO that we've had real estate agents stop several times over the years asking to put our house on the market and said we could get top dollar because we had a "landscaped" (LOL) yard and especially the trees. When I mentioned the tree butchering had probably devalued my property by 3000-5000 dollars, the guy at APCO HQ quickly changed the subject. Sylvia and I both noticed how quickly he went to another subject. It wasn't subtle, at all. I don't want money. We've never sued anyone in our lives and don't expect to. I do want some sort of satisfaction. I want to know why after trimming around these trees for 20 plus years they have suddenly started butcherin trees. BTW, we drove trough Mountain Brook after hearing APCO's excuses, apologies and sarcasm, and guess what? There are wires running through trees everywhere. I guess when you are Elmer Harris (past CEO) and Charles McCrary (current CEO) and you live in Mountain Brook, trees in your community don't get butchered. Any advice?

Comments (7)

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good luck getting any satisfaction. After hurricane Ivan, AL Power had another company called Asplundh come through and trim trees. They butchered one of my old pecan trees. They cut the branches 10ft away from the lines. They even drove on my property creating gullies all in my yard. I have since fenced off the area to where they cant drive in anymore unless I let them.

• terramadre
    17 years ago

Terry,

"Property owners should review the power line easement document and become familiar with its provisions."

I remember that we had to sign a AP power line easement after buying this property; however, we failed to get a copy. :-(

You may want to email AL Power and asked about the power line easement.

• roseyp8255
    17 years ago

Terry - i hate to hear those trees were ruined, they were GORGEOUS. The tree services are notorious for that. They have done it to Jan(tweetypye) before, and to me too, although not to this extent. Good luck and keep us posted.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Terry,

Contact the Alabama Urban Forestry Association. That organization does a great deal of the educating of utility people and assists arborists in becoming certified. There will be someone in your area (I'm sure) who might be able to come and look at the trees, and help you make an official complaint.

Correct utility pruning SHOULD done with several things in mind: preventing disruption of utility service, safety, and tree care. Though it (utility pruning) often looks absolutely horrid to anyone's eyes, proper pruning practices are recommended, and in many communities, ENFORCED. Leaving stubs is never correct.

Anyway, in a community where I once used to live, we mandated that the utility contractors contact our City Forester PRIOR to doing their routine street pruning. That way, the forester or I (as a consultant) could check up on them, in a constructive manner. We also mandated that all arborists that did ANY work for the city be ISA certified. (Boy, did that raise some dust!)

I'd suggest that you begin collecting names, if you haven't already. Not only of the arborists, but of those staff members who were less that helpful.

Email me, if you want to. I'm still involved with AUFA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try these folks

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Sorry to hear of your problem with APC....as Rosey said they did butcher her trees, but thank goodness I was home when they attempted to "drive" through my yard in their huge trucks...I dared them to step foot on my place...and insisted they send someone of authority to my place to speak to me prior to cutting anything. They did...and we discussed just what could be cut off my trees! The day they came to cut, they wouldn't trim a thing without asking me first!! So, no butchered trees for me, thank goodness..I hope you get some satifaction for this horrible incident...
    Jan

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The APCO guy came by today to look at what is left of my trees. Sylvia said he was very nice and accommodating. He agreed Burford Tree Svc over-did-it. Of course it is too late to do anything about it. He said he didn't understand how this happened because Mo, the tree cutting supervisor, was usually on-top-of-things. As a sop to us he offered to remove a couple of limbs which are brushing the front roof. Sylvia and I discussed it and we may as well get what we can from them. How cynical is that? I am not giving in, though. I am writing APCO CEO McCrary asking him to change his policy about tree trimming. I am writing him and the Public Service Commission asking APCO to get permission and explain in writing exactly what work will be done when it is in someone's yard. APCO by law can trim the trees, but they should not be able to butcher them, especially when they are in someone's front yard. I haven't thrown in the towel, yet.

• bamadave
    17 years ago

That makes me angry and sick just to think about it! Why don't people respect trees??

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES