Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madabouteu

Spring Swap - Bad news, I think

madabouteu
14 years ago

I was told PFTP cannot host the swap until Sunday May 22 (yes, I am aware Sunday is May 23 but that is what I was told!) I feel this is too late for most of us but I said we would get back with them.

So - any good second choices?

Kenneth

Comments (11)

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Throwing out ideas - At one time, Michelle had checked with someone at Jemison city hall about using the Ride-and-Park parking lot on a Saturday when it is vacant. Then we could still go to PFTP to browse. What about the Gadsden (Master Gardener greenhouse), Anniston, Jacksonville area? How about the University of Alabama Arboretum or the Auburn arboretum? I had a friend in a gardening group who complained about going to anyone's house or garden because it was always too far but he always wanted everyone to come to his house. I always told him the roads ran in two directions. You folks in east Alabama have been trekking to this area for several years. Wayne and Sandra have been coming all the way from the Chattahooche River for years. The roads from Birmingham have east bound lanes.

• lsmcw
    14 years ago

Don't care where we have it - just please don't change the date. I have it on my calendar and have to work around my work schedule. Linda

• madabouteu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The current president of the Etowah County MGA is our very own Catbird (Alice) and she is OK with the idea of having it here. There are advantages - if it rains, we'd have a large, empty greenhouse to shelter in, and if there are plants left over from our annual sale they would be available for purchase. I'm in the process for getting approval from the authorities - the regional agent and the county extension coordinator. I should think there will be no problems. but we shall see. This does not commit us to hold it here, of course, if we decide to hold it at a more central location.

Alice and I talked a bit about eating facilities - Gadsden of course has a wide range of restaurants. We do have the Fish Market on the Coosa River, about 5 miles from the greenhouse. Those of you wanting to do something extra can visit Noccalula Falls, where there is a botanical garden of sorts - you have to be in fairly good shape to tour it, as the paths are pretty steep, but it is attractive. Admission is charged, I think it's about $7.50.

• catbird
    14 years ago

Terry: Thanks for suggesting this area. We'd love to host one here for a change.

Gadsden would have a lot of advantages. The MG greenhouses are just a few blocks from I59 and there are other good places to have it if we can't do it there. The Fish Market (run by the same family as the one in B'ham) is easy to get to and easy to get back to I59 from. We can get a separate room there so we can visit. Several of our MGs are interested in coming, so we might get some new recruits if it's here. Kenneth and I can arrange everything at this end if you want to come. Let us know what you think.

Alice

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

I plan to go wherever we have it. My thoughts are that we should spread it around so everyone has a chance to host it in their area. All I ask for is an address so I can get good directions from Google and a cross roads (i.e., Corner of Broad St and Main St). I can always stop a policeman and ask directions if needed. I don't have much this year but I'll be there. Alice and Ken, thanks for working on this for us. - Terry

• tedevore
    14 years ago

I'll be excited for the swap, and I agree with Terry--its nice to have it spread around so we all get to visit each other's area. Gadsden sounds really good to me!

Thanks,
    Todd

• ourhighlandhome
    14 years ago

I spent many a weekend at my aunt's house on Whorton's Bend in the Gadsden area when I was young, so I'm rather fond of the area. She was manager of the Rainbow Lanes bowling alley for many years, where I developed a love for good booze and disco music (which not only "dates" me, but is another story entirely!).

If we decide on having the swap on Meighan Blvd., may I suggest a beforehand meal at Top 'O the River? If memory serves, they offer a complimentary appetizer consisting of a pone of fresh-baked cornbread and a jar of cole slaw - the most delicious you can imagine!

How about area nurseries? Are there any that you just shouldn't miss? Tempt me and I'll come, minus the booze and disco shoes...

Nelson ;-)

• daffodillady
    14 years ago

Sounds good to me....

• catbird
    14 years ago

We can handle the booze and disco shoes, but, unfortunately, there's not much in the way of nurseries here. You'll just have to settle for a riverfront and the pioneer village at Noccalula Falls. There is a little train that runs through the village if you don't want to walk. The Falls and village are interesting and worth the five minute drive up the mountain if you've never been there.

• lsmcw
    14 years ago

Gadsden sounds great. Just tell me where. Linda

• madabouteu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For updates on the subject, go to "Spring swap -good news"

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals