Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medievalchic007

Relocating to AL -New to gardens

medievalchic007
15 years ago

Hello everyone.

I am so glad I found this site. There is so much useful information here I am a bit overwhelmed. I know it'll all be helpful.

I moved to alabama from Pennsylvania. Up there our growing season is from about the middle of may or late may to beginning of september. So I am having a hard time adjusting to getting my thoughts in the right place at the right time.

Although I am new to gardening, my parents had a 1/2 acre garden when I was a kid and I grew up on a farm around farmers....

With that said-

I have planted some seeds in starters with my children. Veggies mostly but some melons too. I've seen mention of soil testing. Is it necessary to test it or can most of you just look at it to tell what is it needs? Up north most of our soil is topsoil.. dark brown to a middle color brown and very rich. I know here where I am the soil is more sandy with a touch of clay. Would it just benefit to til the sandy soil with some topsoil and fertilizer to begin with? Or is that not good for veggies?

I am sure that question probably shows how new I am..

Our seeds are 6 days old and 1/3 of them are sprouting. Most of them say I can plant them in this zone around april. Would planting them in two weeks or even three weeks when they are fully leafy be ok or too early?

Comments (12)

• ourhighlandhome
    15 years ago

Hi medievalchic!

I don't know 'nuthin 'bout raisin' no vegetables. One day it'll hit me that I could have been feeding myself and lowering my food bill by purchasing an occasional plant which could be eaten!

I do know that my soil varies - in the front yard it is mostly the horrible, gummy clay that is impossible to work with unless amendments are tilled in. More toward the back it gently slopes and improves, and where it levels is where all my "topsoil" ended up. It is a pleasure to dig back there!

Just wanted to say "Hi!" and "Welcome!" to Alabama and the forum. Wishing you heapin' helpins' of hospitality!

Nelson

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Hi, Medievalchic. Welcome to Alabama. From what part of PA did you come to us? I spent a 16 months in the Phoenixville, Valley Forge, Pottstown, greater Philly area many years ago. Send me an email and I will send you a growing sheet telling when to plant different veggies and stuff in the South. - Terry

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Rather than 'top soil', you'll be much better off adding amendments like mushroom mulch, manure, compost, and the like. That's the stuff that makes a soil fragrant, rich, and dark brown! Organic matter (meaning derived from anything that was once alive...carbon based) improves both sandy AND clayey soils.

It's a good idea to have some soil testing done, so that you know where you stand regarding phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and other elements. You'll also learn what the soil's pH is, something that I think is very important.

Your local extension office should be of great help to you regarding all of this stuff....including when to start planting in your specific area. They can instruct you about how to take the soil tests and many other things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Find your local extension office!

• idig
    15 years ago

Welcome to Alabama!

I just got back from m first visit to Pennsylvania on business. We drove to Somerset from Pittsburgh for the weekend to ski. No snow there! We got it here instead!

I agree with adding mushroom compost, manure, etc and tilling that in. Organic matter is the way to go. I'll leave it to the veggie experts to tell you when to plant what outside.

• catbird
    15 years ago

Welcome. What part of AL did you land in? I note that you're in Z7. If you're in the Gadsden area, be sure to hit our Master Gardener's sale in late April. I'll post a separate thread with details later, but we'll have lots of vegetables for sale in addition to perennials, shrubs, crepe myrtles, and more . . . .

Also, you might want to look into taking the master gardener class. It's a great way to learn a lot about gardening and to meet other local gardeners who can help you get started. Your local extension office rhizo_1 linked you to above will tell you how to enroll.

• bama_gardener
    15 years ago

I have to second that suggestion. I took the master gardener class three years ago here in Mobile and it is the best decision I could have made. It is a great group of ladies all interested in plants and eager to share their knowledge. You can learn so much about gardening in your area. The state conference is going to be held in the Huntsville area and that is a great opportunity. Welcome to Alabama.

• madabouteu
    15 years ago

It depends on the vegetables. Cabbage family members, lettuce, and such are probably OK to go in the ground, but tomatoes, peppers, melons and eggplant are a few that will surely die if planted out now.

• bluesagewmn62
    15 years ago

The old folks used to say (and some still do) that it is safe to plant after Good Friday. Wait a minute.....ALOT of people here still use that as a general guide for planting our summer vegetables. heheh

I guess it is a pretty good gauge...except that some years Good Friday is in late March while others is early April.....but that should give you a general idea on when it is safe to plant. That said...there may still be a couple of really cold nights, so it's always best to keep an eye on the weather and cover them up if a real freeze is expected....but most years that won't happen.....Welcome to Alabama

• catbird
    15 years ago

bama_gardener: Don't any men in Mobile take the MG class? We have quite a few in Etowah County who do and we couldn't get along without them. Not only are they wonderful gardeners, they're the ones who built and maintain our two greenhouses, helped set up the trailer we use for the help line in the summer, and tote the heavy plants and bags of fertilizer!

• User
    15 years ago

Welcome welcome! Glad to have you among us. I'm born and bred in Alabama, and had to learn to garden with a different set of rules up in Massachusetts. Really topsy turvy, so I know how you must feel.

I recommend that you get your directional bearings, what side is north/south/east/west on your property, so you know where to expect shade and hot exposed sun both mornings and evenings. Do your gardening in the most comfortable place by following the shade.

And remember, don't be afraid to ask.

• lsugardenia
    15 years ago

Hi there. If you are driving south on 59 you will pass through Robertsdale, then summerdale, then foley...98 crosses 59 right in downtown foley. Take a left, going east toward Lillian on 98. The nursery (on hwy98 and hwy90)is at least 15 min away from that point...just keep driving, through Elberta. Aside from that nursery and Magnolia and Davis, I also highly recommend Wilsey Nursery...very nice quality plants and service..traveling south again on hwy 59, at hwy 98 in downtown foley, take a right going west toward fairhope...its about 15 min away take a right on 181/27 and its immediately on the left. GOOD LUCK!!!!

• trudyjean82
    15 years ago

I don't live in Ala, but work there across the line. I just wanted to welcome you to the south an mention that we always have a late frost (Easter snap), to err of the side of caution a lot of folks around here wait til after April 15th. Also waiting til the pecan trees start to leaf out is a good sign. Hope you have a great gardening year in your new home.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH