Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

AL has the best weeds (part II)

alabamanicole
10 years ago

That thread was getting a bit long to load.

Boy did I do a double-take when I saw white henbit today. Apparently, it's a thing, or so the internet says, but I had never seen it anymore than I had parti-colored dead nettle!

{{gwi:360342}}

{{gwi:360344}}

Comments (29)

• drippy
    10 years ago

The variegated nettle is nice! I have henbit, violets, dandelions, and after much research, finally identified small-flowered crowfoot (ranunculus abortivus). No doubt they will survive the coming freeze, but I covered my blossoming peach tree (new last year, so still very small).

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Very cool!!

I hope to find more cuties to take pics of Monday! Will put them here, you're right about the other thread. If folks want to see the pics posted over the past year, (part 1,) they're here.

• Desirai
    10 years ago

there's a small clump of white henbit in my yard. i noticed it last year! It spread a little more this year.

• Desirai
    10 years ago

here's a picture of some henbit, lol

{{gwi:360346}}

10 years ago

Wisteria's at its' prime here now. Why is it so hard to take a pic where you can see the purple? If I manage to take one, I'll add it.

• jeff_al
    10 years ago

never have seen white henbit but i don't think i want it in the lawn any more than i do the purple. :-)
    i can't believe i am submitting this photo since i really don't like this plant but here ya go, purple.
    plant is in a friend's yard, growing as a standard. i keep trying to convince him to get rid of it but he is afraid that, if he cuts it down, it will start to put out runners (like they do!).
    oh, bother.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    10 years ago

This is the first year I have seen Asian kudzu bugs at my place, and I'm hoping they'll control some of the wild wisteria around here. My neighbor's place is a mess, and it just grows rampant over there. Everytime I see it creeping over or under the fence I hit it with brush killer.

10 years ago

Jeff, that's fantastic! Thanks for the effort! It's so high up in the trees, I've been trying for a 'habitat' shot but haven't gotten one worth sharing yet. It's shocking how much of it there is, so visible now, then just disappears into the tree foliage after the blooms finish. Then, of course, there's the tiny little standard in so many yards.

I just hope the kudzu bugs are more interested in kudzu and wisteria than soy beans and my house plants. There were a TON of them on house plants last fall, so some of them ended up inside. I kept seeing adults on Plumeria most often, but on many other plants too. Never could tell if they were just sitting there basking in the morning sun, or sucking plant juices. From what I understand, they should be making their first crop of this years' babies soon, the question is exactly where they will do that.

Incidentally, Mimosa is in the Fabacaea family.

The clovers (Medicago and Trifoliums) are at their forté, red, white and yellow 'blankets' everywhere. Verbenas are just starting, wild mustard is winding down.

Spiderwort Tradescantias are in full swing! Pretty little white violets I traded for last fall put on a great show too, winding down now. Wild berry vines are blooming like crazy.

• alabamanicole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone have IDs for these?

Similar to chickweed, but not quite:
    {{gwi:360348}}
    {{gwi:360349}}

Very prolific tiny blue blooms now. Leaves are very thick.
    {{gwi:360351}}

Woodland "grass"
    {{gwi:360353}}
    {{gwi:360354}}

White & blue versions:
    {{gwi:360356}}
    {{gwi:360358}}

This one is a shrub, but doesn't look like bottlebrush;
    {{gwi:360360}}

• alabamanicole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more. Note bilateral symmetry and cut leaves.

{{gwi:360362}}

This post was edited by alabamanicole on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 3:26

9 years ago

Nicole, those are awesome! The one that's white or purple, looks like Ajuga. The last one sure looks like Polemonium flowers I used to grow in OH, but the leaves are all wrong.

Found this amazing site, list of AL wildflowers, hopefully more help than me, if you don't want to put them in NTP. Just came by to paste the link anyway so hope it helps! And wanted to add a pic of multiflora rose, heartbreakingly beautiful right now.

• alabamanicole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are correct. I ID'd the white/purple one as bugleweed... which is an Ajuga sp.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    9 years ago

Purple,
    Thanks for the Alabama wildflower link.
    Susan

• jcalhoun
    9 years ago

Awesome link.

• terramadre
    9 years ago

"This one is a shrub, but doesn't look like bottlebrush; "
    Looks like Alabama Snow wreath - Neviusia alabamensis

"One more. Note bilateral symmetry and cut leaves."
    Looks like Phacelia - Scorpionweed

• alabamanicole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, terramadre! Both are right on. The blue/purple one is Fernleaf phacelia (Phacelia bipinnatifida).

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

purpleinopp,
    I've never seen multiflora rose with flowers other than white; I'm thinking you've got some other wild/native rose - but I could be wrong.
    Used to see that old pink wild rose growing wild on the roadsides, back in UCLA(Lee Co.) - and occasionally here in the frigid northland of KY, but never the doubles you've shown. The pink-flowered one here has a different habit from the typical white multiflora, but I'm not a botanist/taxonomist, so I can't chase down the ID on 'em.

9 years ago

I'm not either, and appreciate the sharing of info! Much appreciated. It was ID'd as that, and I never questioned it, especially since the answer was, basically, "weed." I'd love to find out it's native, you can bet your bippy I'd be putting some boots on and getting in that thicket to get some cuttings. Pics are just the flip-flop view from the safety of the dirt road. A quick search someone of my limited knowledge can do regarding something as vast as roses turns up various cultivars of MF rose. Maybe escapees of one of those?

If one is a native purist, these 4'o'clocks would fit the bill for being a weed, (and probably the KO roses.) They make too many seeds for some gardeners' tolerance also, I realize that. I love them though, they are cultivated, we all have our exotic plant weakness though I do try to use mostly non-invasives and natives, thought I'd drop in a pic while here, though no signs of buds yet. These poor things got moved *again* in April. Call me silly, but I'm excited about how great they are doing.

9 years ago

Just now getting around to adding some pics from 9/22...
    Chamaecrista fasciculata:

9 years ago

Ipomoea pandurata:

9 years ago

Clinopodium carolinianum:

9 years ago

Pavonia hastata:

9 years ago

Camphorweed, Pluchea camphorata.

9 years ago

From 9/25, Ipomoea cordatotriloba & I. quamoclit.

9 years ago

Pseudognaphalium obtusifolium (pearly everlasting I think is a common name:)

9 years ago

Portulaca amilis. (9/13.)

• ourhighlandhome
    9 years ago

Hi all,

Saw bunches of these this past weekend growing from a rocky, dirt-poor hillside all the way down to a creek bank. Not very tall - maybe topping out around 8-12 in. Interesting little plant. Anyone know what it is?

Thanks,

Nelson

This post was edited by nelson on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 0:11

9 years ago

What a cutie beauty, Nelson! No idea but I love it! Somebody should know on NTP if you want to ask there.

It's *so dry* here, I don't anticipate seeing any blooms until it rains. Either because it's too dry to form them, or they are covered with dust along the dirt roads. It's been a frustratingly flower-slim fall. I haven't spotted anything worth stopping to take a pic of since early Oct.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor