Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamatufa

Last frost? maybe? not?hopefully?

Bamatufa
12 years ago

I am wishing we have seen the last of freezing temps here in central Alabama.I know you good folks on the coast have probably seen the last,if any at all. I just moved my palms out of the my basement and a little further away from the house. Rolling the dice I do not have to drag them back in.

Comments (15)

• tedevore
    12 years ago

Its not unusual to get a frost or very close to it during the first part of april, like last year. So I wouldn't move heavy stuff too far away from protection yet. I think the long-term average last frost is around the third week of march.

• sundog7
    12 years ago

As much as I'd like to move some plants outside, especially the larger ones, they are just too valuable to risk. For example, I have a large pot full of Peace Lilies that I've had since my wife's funeral in 2001. I do put them outside in warm weather (they love the extra light they get even in the shade), but I can't afford to lose them.

Every plant has a history - some were gifts, some I propagated years ago, and some were throwaways I saved from other people's trash, and so on. They're like old friends now. :)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

When I lived in coastal SC, zone 8b, we would often (like nearly every year), get a hard frost as late as mid-to late March.

Just sayin'.....

• john_trussville
    12 years ago

Against my better judgement I cleaned up all of my basjoo bananas last w/e. Even though they look terrible all winter I always leave the dead leaves on to give the trunks a little more cold protection, and with our extremely mild winter this year I didn't lose even a few inches off the top of the trunks. They're all already putting out new growth, right from where they left off last year....seven or eight feet above ground.
    Cleaned up a few other beds & found gingers coming up, as well as a few EEs.....and even lantana sprouting new leaves at the base.
    Haven't moved out any tender palms yet but probably will this w/e......as long as the long-term forecasts keep looking good.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just viewed the 7 day forecast. Looking Good! 50's as lows and 70's as high through middle of next week. And no signs of any winter mischeif / cold air for the next 14 days.

• alabamanicole
    12 years ago

The long term forecast, even to 3 months out, says above normal for Alabama. I think we're done this year, but I'm not changing what I do much from year to year. What was it, 5 years ago, I think, when it was warm like this and we had a late hard freeze?

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close call !

• sundog7
    11 years ago

Way too close!

My figs look like they're almost ready to ripen. It would have been terrible had we had a big killing frost. That happened a couple of years ago, and all the leaves and figs fell off. Still had figs that year, but they were delayed quite a bit.

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

Heads up No AL -- there's a another patchy frost warning out for tonight.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Yeah, what IS this??! It's supposed to be 38 all the way down here tonight. OMG! (Shivering!)

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

Well... my peas are finally happy!

• drippy
    11 years ago

Here we go again - 1 1/2 hours later I have all sensitive vegetation covered.

I included my rose, which has just started blooming. Now I know roses are hardy perennials, and the plant would have been fine, but did I reason correctly that the frost might kill the blooms?

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

I didn't cover anything. It's nowhere near to late to re-start stuff and it didn't seem worth it.

But it was 41 here and no sign of frost anyway.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Yeah, whew! 42 at 6:45 AM here. Safe but still CRAZY COLD!!

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In March I would have been willing to bet my paycheck we would not see the 40 degree range again until Fall. Wrong!! However, its was a nice Spring.Had to hold my breath last part of April.

Sponsored