bamatufa

Any reports of Hummers?

Bamatufa
12 years ago

Any sightings in LA?

Comments (20)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

I'm getting my feeders ready tomorrow and will put at least one out.

I discovered two little secrets last year and don't remember if I shared them here. The first one was when Robert brought home a bag of Extra Fine sugar by mistake. This is often called baking sugar. I contacted the Domino company (might as well go straight to the source, right) and asked if this could be used for hummingbird food, at the same rate as regular sugar. Well, it can and you don't have to boil it to dissolve it! The boiling really doesn't serve a purpose.

I also learned, from someone in the Hummingbird Forum, that a good spray of WD-40 on the pole you hang your feeder from will help keep the ants away. I found this little trick to be enormously helpful! I had tried everything over the years and this one really works. It requires some repeated applications, but not anymore than two or three over the season.

• drippy
    12 years ago

According to the hummingbird migration map, some sightings have been reported in our area. I put my feeder out yesterday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Migration Map

• outsideplaying_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip on WD-40. I have used petroleum jelly (messy) but this will be so much easier. I swab a little around the holes though. A little off topic, but the petroleum jelly around the hole of a bluebird nest box will keep the wasps out.

• jeff_al
    12 years ago

haven't seen any here in the auburn area. i put out the feeder two weeks ago when i noticed the red buckeyes putting out new growth. some of them are in full flower now. the early hummers will often be here when that food source is available.
    dory,
    i have an ant moat/guard that works well. i ordered it from lee valley tools; it was cheap. i actually made one from the plastic top of a spray paint can. punch a hole through the small, inner cup and run your hanger through that. fill the outer well with water or oil. very low maintenance.
    i found the store-bought one to be less noticeable since it is clear acrylic so got that one.
    thanks for the tip about petroleum jelly. i think i will try that on the wind chimes. the dirt daubers have messed up every set that i put out. the mud that they use sets up like concrete and dulls the sound!

Here is a link that might be useful: ant moat

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Some one posted about the WD40 last year.I took the advice and it seems to work. I purchased some HB food today.I want to have the. table set before my good neighbors do. My HB's came and disappeared for a while last year.I suspect some one was feeding them in better than me.

• ala8south
    12 years ago

YES! Saw our first ruby-throat here in Dothan on Tuesday. Our little female rufous winter visitor was still here as of yesterday. Didn't notice if she was still around today or not.
    Dell

• tndaisy
    12 years ago

Yes! In Jasper just now...he must be Irish!

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

I saw one Thursday loitering around my coral honeysuckles.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I cleaned up my two feeders and put one out today.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does anyone here put out multiple feeders? I upgraded to two feeders last year. Was wondering if more the better for keeping them around.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Saw my first one today.B'ham area.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

It takes dedication to keep up with multiple feeders, since keeping them clean is so important. Also, it's important that you have a suitable environment for these birds. They require shelter and shade, other food sources, and plenty of territory. You know how feisty they can be!

I put up two feeders...one very near our patio and the other one more than a hundred feet away...in the middle of a perennial bed. Those two feeders and lots of flowering plants kept what seemed like a little army busy last year.

Do you ever visit the Hummingbird Forum? There's someone over there (can't remember his name) who puts up multiple feeders, many of which he has made himself. He attracts so many birds that it doesn't seem healthy to me, but he says that he has an expansive habitat for all of them.

I'll see if I can find one of his videos and post it here.

• drippy
    11 years ago

Still nothing here, but the honeysuckle is starting to bloom along the fence, so I am hopeful.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

I am way, way behind, but we saw hummers a couple of weeks ago. March 24th-25th to be exact were our first sightings. Haven't seen many since though.

I do keep 2 feeders. My large one in the back and a smaller one in the front yard. Both are near flower sources and both have plenty of activity that don't seem to compete with each other. I find I can fill both with my usual mixture of 4 cups water/1 cup sugar nicely. Makes it easy.

• shawnalei
    11 years ago

None here yet, but I put the feeders out last weekend. I can't wait to see the little guys (and gals) again!

• shawnalei
    11 years ago

Saw the first one this afternoon!

• drippy
    11 years ago

My first little guys started coming around May 5. I've had them pretty steadily since then, and they are a welcome addition to the landscape!

• lanier83
    11 years ago

Put my first feeder out Friday am. I have had two consistent visitors (I say 2 bc I only see them one at a time; male and a female).

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

I'm under attack! I've had my feeders out for a while and things had slowed down a bit, but now the hummers are on a roll. They are there all day and almost into the night. Saw one yesterday when it was almost night and it was even raining.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Same here the past week ! Had to refill twice this week. Ready to put up my second feeder.Planted two Cardinal vines last month which are just now getting established. These are suppose to attract hummers.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia