Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bets4bama

Lantana last summer

bets4bama
17 years ago

Hey Ya'll..new here. My question is: Last summer my lantana never bloomed...none of it...and I have all different types. Its leaves looked like they had been frost bit. Tha's what I thought happened at first, but no blooms ever appeared. I know NOT to feed lantana so that wasn't it. I even sprayed it for fungus thinking it was sick. Did anyone else experience this problem? If it doesn't bloom this year I may dig it all up (which as you know may KILL me) and just start over with new.

Comments (6)

• cockybamagirl
    17 years ago

don't feed lantana? Really. Why not? I just planting some yesterday for the first time.

• terramadre
    17 years ago

Maybe this well help you troubleshoot the problem:

"While established lantanas are drought tolerant, performance, bloom, and growth rate will be reduced if they are too dry for a long period. During their blooming period, give them a thorough watering once a week if they do not receive an inch of rain that week. Avoid overhead watering. Overly frequent overhead watering can make plant more susceptible to diseases and root rot.
    Lantana is susceptible to powdery mildew if grown in shade. Sooty mold, causing a blackish discoloration on the leaves is usually caused by infestation by whiteflies.
    Root rot can be a problem if soil is poorly drained or plants are watered too frequently."

Here is a link that might be useful: Problems

• john_trussville
    17 years ago

last spring my local Lowes allowed a bunch of early arrived Lantana get frost bit a little, so I "loaded up" when they discounted it down to 50 cents ea. Once established, I offered it very little supplemental water even during our hot, dry periods. I only fed when it rained, and it got HUGE & bloomed profusely all summer long.

"I know NOT to feed lantana" is something I've never heard before, either.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Two of the biggest problems (of Lantana) in your part of Alabama could be spider mites and the Lantana lacebug. Both are absolutely capable of stressing and even killing your plants...certainly preventing a luscious bloom display.

When your plants begin growing again, be sure to keep an eye on the new growth. Mites AND the lacebug will be found underneath the leaves, busily sucking plant sap 24/7.

Yes, Lantana needs to be fertilized. Just choose a product that is not overloaded with nitrogen.

• bets4bama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow! Thanks everyone for the info. Now I'm perplexed. I can't remember where I read not to feed lantana. I'll try to find where I read it. Anyway, I'll keep all this great advice in mind as new growth appears. What was really weird though was that ALL my lantana looked this way and I have it in all kinds of different locations on our property (10+ acres), as well as several different types (New Gold, Dallas Red, that pink and yellow variety, white and purple). And it's all very well established.
    But I don't recall seeing mites and/or lacebugs, but that was probably cause I didn't have my reading glasses on! I'll keep ya'll posted and thanks again SOOO much! (Wish I had known about this site before now!)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Perhaps the author of that article meant to suggest that you don't overfertilize with N. All heavy flowerers (is that a new word?) require sufficient 'fuel' in order to keep producing for us. But pouring on the nitrogen rather than phosporus (especially) and other elements might result in excess vegetative growth and few flowers.

The thing about mites and/or lacebugs is that, unless you are actually looking FOR them, you are most likely to see symptoms rather than the culprit. Those symptoms are pretty telll-tale, but not unless you are familiar with those critters.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio