Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID grass without pic?

Posted by Desirai 7B (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 20:58

OK so I live in central Alabama.

There is this grass that I see in people's yards that I want.

During the winter time, all the grass in almost 98% of the neighborhood turns brown and dormant, then BAM. There are some people who have this grass that stays super bright green all winter long.

it is lawn grass, it looks like it'd be really soft. but the thing that attracts me is the fact it stays bright green year round!!

Does anyone know what this grass is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID grass without pic?

I'd wager that those lawns have been overseeded with one of the winter ryegrasses, a cold season grass. Ryegrass dies out in the summer season, leaving a struggling warm season grass species to try to recover.

If so, it's one of the worst things you can do to your permanent grass. Trust me. The practice is adopted from the golf course industry, which is driven by necessity to have green greens all winter in the south. But golf courses are the most expensive real estate in the country. It takes a heck of a lot of chemicals and maintenance to maintain ryegrass over the winter. But the primary problem is that your permanent grass is weakened, making it more disease and weed prone.

Lawn care companies LOVE to sell overseeding as part of their program.
Bright green grass looks fake in the winter, in the south. A spotty, weedy summer lawn will be the result.

o

I seeeeeeee.

o

By the way, ryegrass is sold in the fall and winter only. It truly has different physiology than warm season grasses.....it will die out in the late spring/early summer leaving a stressed out permanent lawn for you to deal with.

My neighbor has his lawn overseeded and now has to hire Chemlawn to make several visits a year. :-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here