Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamatufa

When can we expect the Hummers to arrive?

Bamatufa
13 years ago

Is it in the month of May when the Hummingbirds start to arrive? Those pesty wood boring bumble bees threw me off this weekend wizzing by my head. At first I thought they were HB's before I realized what I was seeing or hearing. They got me excited but then let me down. I have my feeders cleaned and ready for the first refill.

Comments (14)

• lsmcw
    13 years ago

Saw my first one yesterday - I'm in Jasper.

• catbird
    13 years ago

Over the years I have found that they rarely come to the feeder till early summer, though I see them occasionally in the area.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

They are here in Huntsville.

Those big bees you see are Carpenter bees (not a bumble bee)...pretty noisy, aren't they? It's usually the male who is the noisy, blustering bee. He can be identified by the yellow patch on his face. All bark and no bite, they are pretty fun to push away with your hand when they come to fuss at you. The females are non-aggressive but can sting if you force them to. It's the females who drill the holes.

• terramadre
    13 years ago

Hummers show up in the Jacksonville (Calhoun County) area around March 28; however, scouts come by earlier. That's the reason why feeders are up by March 15.

{{gwi:357912}}

• mimidi6
    13 years ago

The male Rudy arrived in the Dothan area around March 12. The females arrived this week. What fun to watch them enjoy the feeders and flowers.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Put my feeder up last weekend.I have two regulars about to drain it dry.

• drippy
    13 years ago

Had mine up for two weeks now (I've changed the solution regularly) - haven't seen one yet. :(

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

That's quite a picture, terramadre!

Let's talk about hummingbird feeders. Do you have a favorite style, brand? I've been using those pinch-waist glass feeders from Perky Pet, the one with '4 place settings' and perches.

I've been given others over the years, but always seem to come back to this particular feeder. I'm going to put a feeder in our front yard and wouldn't mind something different if I had some good recommendations.

• drippy
    13 years ago

Finally got my first one yesterday - yahoo!

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I think my two were just stopping for refueling.Looks like they are gone or they found better gas station nearby.I have the pinched waist glass feeders also which they seem to like.Though I want to upgrade to the nicer ones.

• Jackie McCarty
    12 years ago

I saw one wednesday. I'm on the extreme western edge of Jefferson county, almost to Walker county. I've never seen one down at my house before so I had to stare at it for a long time to figure out it wasn't a giant dragonfly!

Hope you are all ok from the storms last week. :)

Jackie

• terramadre
    12 years ago

I prefer the wide-mouth feeders. They can be cleaned and filled easily. The trays can be cleaned easily also and have perches. One can get a good close-up photo of a hummer sitting still ;-)

{{gwi:360477}}

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I now have more visitors and they are draining me dry. Had to put up my second feeder. Repositioned my second feeder differently from last year a little closer to where I normally sit in hopes of getting a better view of them.

• smurf4288
    12 years ago

you all are getting me so excited to move.. We have HB here but i have never seen one.. Last year hubby and stepdaughter seen one, but i was inside with the baby and missed it.. Figures i planted all the garden (when i was 7 months pregnant) and they see the bird.. I LOVE!!! cannas and plan to plant a tone when i get there. From what i've heard HB like them too.. I'm hoping i can bring some to my yard and see them this time..

Sponsored