Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodil selection

Posted by madabouteu 8A - central Alabama (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 21:33

My daffodils have not yet finished blooming, and here is the catalog from Brent and Becky's, for me to pick out which ones to get for next year! Which leads me to ask - what daffodils are y'all growing and with what results? Several kinds came with this house, but the only named variety is the one I bought from the firm mentioned above - "Kedron", with yellow petals and an orange trumpet. It is in the jonquilla section and has been excellent - it's increased quite a bit over the three years I have had it. It does need full sun for a prolific bloom, but in half-day sun it will still bloom, though the blooms are later and small. Fragrant but not overwhelmingly so.

There is a clump in my backyard that I really like but it is an "inherited" variety - maybe "Jetfire". Long, narrow trumpet, small petals, very early bloomer. Looks great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodil selection

I grow several, and I in recent years I have been planting more and more mini daffodils (from Brent and Becky's).
My favorite combinataion is the ol' "tete a tete" that comes up early and mixes with the purple spring crocus that also comes out early. Its especially nice if you are an LSU fan and like the whole purple and gold thing.

o

Speaking of LSU colors - when I lived in New Orleans, my ladyfriend was an LSU grad, I'm an alum of Bama, so one weekend every fall, things got sorta tense!

o

'tete-a-tete' has been a good one for me, too.
i also have had 'ice follies' returning for many years and notice that it is commonly planted in my area.
'thalia' is a nice white one and 'erlicheer' is a double narcissus with an outstanding fragrance.

o
Fragrance

Speaking of fragrance, yesterday I identified two daffs that were part of a mixture I'd bought several years ago - Geranium and Yellow Cheerfulness. The fragrance of both of them is very pleasant, though you do have to get right up to the bloom to smell it. Geranium has white petals with a small but intense orange cup; Yellow Cheerfulness is a double yellow. In both cases, te bloom, at least for me, is on the small side.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here