Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Tea (camellia sinensis)

Posted by eskimobaby87 z8AL (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 17, 06 at 22:19

Does anyone here know anything about growing tea? I think it's "camellia sinensis." I've read a little online about it and it seems that it would thrive in Zone 8, but I'd like to talk to someone who has actually tried it to get some tips. Thanks!

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Tea (camellia sinensis)

• Posted by josh z8a (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 8:03

Mary, thought I remembered reading of tea being grown commercially again in the Carolinas so googled and found a good bit of information. You may already have read it...

Also, there is a Viburnum setigerum that I had in a former garden which is not only a beautiful shrub but I understand has been used for tea, though I never tried it.

I'm curious too and will be hoping you get some one who is actually growing/using the Camellia to respond. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea in Carolinas

o

I grew this when I lived over in Albany, GA (zone 8a). Grow it just like you would any other camellia. I never did use it for tea, just for the novelty of growing it. You can get them from Tallahassee Nursery on Thomasville Road in Tallahassee.

o

Just for your interest, I lived in coastal SC for many years and had the opportunity to visit the tea farm outside of Charleston several times. You have NEVER tasted anything like a cold glass of tea that has been brewed from leaves that are hours or days old, instead of the several months we are used to. American Classic Tea is sold all over the place and I sure do recommend it! Any other tea tastes bitter to me now ;-(

The farm is a fascinating place to visit, if you ever get the chance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here