Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catbird_gw

What do you do with the rocks you dig out of the garden?

catbird
16 years ago

This might seem like a crazy question to you gardeners who don't have rocky soil, but it gets to be a real nuisance for some of us. I'm not talking about boulders or rocks big enough to build walls with, but those pesky 2-4" ones that bring your digging fork to a screetching, tilted halt just as you put all your weight on it. When you dig them out of the flower beds, do you throw them in the garbage? Put them in the street for the trash truck? I've used some as a base for a low birdbath, but there are only so many creative uses for the things. Ideas anyone?

Comments (7)

• squirrellypete
    16 years ago

I use my smaller plain-looking rocks like what you're describing to help fill in french drains & runoff ditches. Also, I actually use the prettier quartz ones to make borders for flower beds. You pile enough of them up about a foot wide and 6-8 inches tall and they make a nice-looking low border. Not something you'd want bordering a lawn where you might mow or weed whack up to it but if it's in a spot that wouldn't be disturbed too much it's nice. Every once in a while I'll see a rock or two that's been knocked out of place by the cat or some other critters but it only takes a minute to fix. You can also use them in the bottom of potted plants, baskets, etc...that might tend to get knocked over by wind or small animals to add some weight. I'm sure there are lots of other good uses but can't think of them at the moment.

Danielle

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

I put them in the garbage can for BFI to pick up. I use to pile them at the edges of the garden but I found I was forever picking up the same ones so I decided to get rid of them.

• kandm
    16 years ago

I love those little rocks. When I find enough I buy some mini cactus' and make a small rock garden in a terra cotta pot.

• newdawn1895
    16 years ago

I put them in the garbage as well. Geez I hate all these rocks and stones, don't you?

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    16 years ago

This is definitely a difference between the northern and southern areas of the state. Down here closer to the coast we just have sand and clay soil with few rocks. Occasionally I will find small orange colored rocks (iron rocks), but not very often.

• ollierose
    15 years ago

We have TONS of those in Georgia!

I use the tiny ones in potted plants to provide better drainage. I'm also saving them to use for small concrete projects - my gas meter is in the back of a large flower bed, so I'm going to frame out a walkway, toss in the rocks, and pour in quickcrete!

Diana
    (bored with my GA forums today and nosing around in my "neighbors' backyard today!")

• farmersteve
    15 years ago

I'm glad I read these forums it makes me think my crazy questions are not so crazy and that others are dealing with the same issues.

When I started putting in my veggie garden a few years ago I threw them all into a pile by the corner of the house within easy tossing distance of the veggie beds. Then I decided to build a small raised border area next to the house for some perennial herbs. Guess what? There was a big pile of rocks and stones there so I started to move them all to a new place and realized that that would be a location I would probably want to use next year. Then I wandered the back yard looking for good places to deposit them. There was a small hole under the fence that the rabbits and local cats come through. That got filled. Still a big pile of rocks to rid myself of! Maybe something decorative? No they are all clay filled chunks of ugly chert and old broken bricks the developers left behind. Maybe a ground cover somewhere? But I like growing things... Maybe in the front yard? Nope not there either...

Recently I have been depositing them in the trash, but I am sure that as I continue this my yard will someday be three to four inches lower than all my neighbors' yards and my garden will become a lake.

Steve

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH