Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
privacy hedging

Posted by aubratgyrl 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 20, 06 at 22:45

We are located in the shoals area. We put in a pool last year and have a chain length fence. We cannot afford a privacy fence and the way the pool was installed we would have to build a retaining wall to put the fence on if we wanted the fence to provide privacy. I am thinking of planting something that is rather fast growing and dense that will provide the same type privacy we want, but also serve to landscape our pool as well. I have thought of bamboo but it is a lot of work, I've thought of Willow Hybrid but fear when it sheds we will have a huge mess in the pool. Can anyone suggest what type plants, shrubs, or trees I should be looking for?

Thanks
D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: privacy hedging

So, what hanky-panky are you trying to hide behind a privacy screen, LOL! Willows seek water. If there is any seepage from the pool the willow roots will head straight for it, grow into the cracks and open the concrete. Mother made the mistake of planting a willow near the field lines for the grease trap. All the roots went toward the lines.

There are many pros and cons about Leyland cypress but it is evergreen and grows fast. You can order small seedlings from a catalog very cheaply and they wil grow fast. You can buy bigger ones and they aren't too expensive. Plant them close and then as they get bigger, cut out every-other-one.

o

o

Chinese Privets, Tea Olive, Fringe Plants and Ileagnus. You can choose 1-2. Tea olives smell so good. Ileagus is very interesting. Chinese privets are fast and Purple Fringe gets big fast and interesting color if you can use that magenta color.

o

hello.. I would use Elaeagnus.. It grows some what fast,smells great in bloom and the birds love the seeds..I have some small plants..if you e-mail me I can show you my plants..
Jody

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here