Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nuggs_gw

Fireflies

nuggs
12 years ago

Was just outside this evening and spotted about half a dozen fireflies meandering around the pine tops. I've never seen them so early. What does this mean? Anyone else have any sightings?

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

What do you mean, what does it mean? ;-)
    Your early sightings mean two main things to me. The most obvious is that we've warmed up earlier this year.... as in most places around this country. Lightning bugs are most certainly activated by warm spring temperatures, which have simply occurred several weeks earlier than usual.

It also means that the firefly environment in your location is a healthy one. These insects spend most of their lives as larvae in the soil, feeding on small slugs, worms, and other larvae. Firefly larvae and adults are sensitive to pesticides.

This is National Spider Day, by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:360948}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I've never seen any down here or in FL when we camp there. The kids found some glow worms in the dirt a few weeks ago, though. First time seeing them. Cool!

• ala8south
    12 years ago

Purpleinopp......you need to be looking more. They are definitely part of south Alabama summers!
    Dell

• drippy
    12 years ago

Never saw so many fireflies in my life until we moved here 2 1/2 years ago. I just love watching them in the summertime.

12 years ago

I agree, drippy. It's pretty awesome to see the whole neighborhood twinkling in the evening. We start seeing them as soon as the sun goes down, all the way from the tops of the trees to the grass. Robert swears that he saw one a couple of weeks ago (we're in Huntsville), but I'm not sure sure, lol.

I'm curious as to why Purple hasn't seen any. Do you live in an area where there is an aggressive mosquito abatement program, perhaps? Or where lawn pesticides have been used in the past?

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Just saw two or three tonite in the wooded area behind my house. I recall it being mid summer in past years before seeing the first lighting bug.Maybe a good sign the population is healthy as mentioned.Bham area.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Well now I'm curious, too. Although I usually come inside at dusk because I'm getting eaten (slightly more rapidly than in the daytime) and I can't see my plants anymore, I have been outside at night of course. I guess there's usually a fire if we are outside at night. It's reasonable to say that I spend so much time looking at the fire that my vision just doesn't pick up the faint flashes of fireflies and/or that they steer a wide path around a fire. Next time, I'll try closing my eyes for a couple minutes before looking off into the darkness, away from the fire.

The city sprays for mosquitoes but only in town. Most people we would visit at night are out on the dirt roads. I haven't seen a chemlawn truck since I moved down here.

12 years ago

Maybe it's even the smoke from the fire?