Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Gardening, Antiquing and Lotto Adventure

tsmith2579
15 years ago

Well, Saturday was our day, just a day for Sylvia and I to spend some time together. We were like two kids on a Spring break adventure to the beach. We left Hueytown at 8 a.m. and went to Tuscaloosa-Northport to Dunn's Nursery. I have heard other Gardenwebbers talk about Dunn's and then there was an article about them in the April Southern Living. We got there a few minutes before the gates opened at 9 am. It was a little bit chilly. We walked through the nursery in about 30 minutes and found some nice plants which interested us. Let me tell you, they are proud of their plants and don't want you to take them home. I thought almost everything there was too pricey. Heck, a nice set of wind chimes like we have which were $30-$40 were $120. We left Dunn's, went down McFarland Blvd, hung a right and went to Skyland Antique Mall. We spent a couple of hours there. If you haven't been to Skyland, let me tell you that all that stuff your grandma had can be found there. We left Tuscaloosa and took US Hwy 82 to Montgomery to go to Southern Homes & Gardens. At the Prattville-Montgomery fork I mistakenly took the Montgomery fork and we wound up South of the I-85 interchange. We stopped for a pleasant lunch within sight of I-65 at a completely dysfunctional Wendy's. We went on to Southern Homes on Vaughn Road. Boy, that place is nicer than the now closed Pike's Nursery formerly in B'ham. We spent WWWAAAYYY too much time and money at SH&G. I bought one of those new Alma's Star Confederate rose plants. These have been under lights because they already have buds. I won't have to wait until Fall for flowers. Then we took Taylor Road down to US 231 below South Blvd, hit US 82 and traveled to Eufaula, AL. It is a beautiful drive, especially in Spring. So many trees in bloom. It is woods and fields almost all of the 90 miles from Montgomery to Eufaula. Eufaula is a beautiful town with so many old homes with trees draped in Spanish moss. We crossed into Georgia to buy lottery tickets for the next 4 weeks. Since I'm sure my 401K has lost tons of money, we thought we might as well take a chance. We bought 5 tickets for 4 weeks. We had a great late afternoon trip back to Montgomery enjoying the Spring weather and nature, again. We stopped for a quick supper at the shopping center on Taylor Rd. While there, Sean called to tell us Smokey the cat was P.O.ed because we had been gone all day. We got home about 9 pm and Smokey gave us a dressing down, telling us all about it when we walked through the door. Oh, by the way, we almost collided with a huge wild turkey as it flew across the road near Prattville. We saw goats, sheep, several wild turkeys, horses, buzzards, herons, crows, hawks and a groundhog which I thought Sylvia was going to make me catch. We put almost 500 miles on the car in one day but we had a great time.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!