Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
telly2_gw

Anyone tried a Loquat tree in zone 7 ?

telly2
15 years ago

I really want one of these, but I think of them as being more of a tropical. There was one left at the BBG plant sale today, so I was tempted, but walked away. I did wonder why they would be for sale here if they're too tender for zone 7. I know that they can be grown in a pot, but I would prefer mine in the ground.

Some websites I've seen say they can be grown in zones 7 thru 11, others say 8 thru 11. Anyone have any experience with these ? Maybe Birdlady ?

Comments (23)

• terramadre
    15 years ago

I have several growing in the ground for three years. They not only did well during the winters but also during the droughts. I don't expect them to bear fruit. The seedlings were about 5" tall and the plants are now about 4.5' tall.
    I received the seedlings from someone located in zone 8a.

• john_trussville
    15 years ago

I've had several loquats here & they've done great for me.

I didn't see the loquats at the BBG plant sale, but I did pick up a eucalyptus 'neglecta' & a variegated pinstripe ginger. I've tried a few neglectas in the past & have never had any luck. I'm hoping this will be the one that actually grows for me.

• telly2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

john trussville: There was only one lone Loquat left by 9:30 (of course, I don't know how many they started with), and it was located on one of the tables back by the Japanese maples. It was rather puny looking too, so I think maybe I'll try to find one elsewhere. Also, I wasn't aware that we could have ginger here either...I lived in FL for the last 10 years so I miss all the gingers.
    You guys are giving me the confidence to at least try a loquat!

• ourhighlandhome
    15 years ago

I received one from a friend who has several on his property that are massive. I bought another one at Home Depot in Sylacauga. As terramadre said, they won't fruit this far north, but the fragrance in late fall is out-of-this-world! Go get 'cha one!

Also, Jan (birdlady 10) bought me a Eucalyptus 'neglecta' a couple of years ago, John. It's in absolute full sun and soil that stays on the dry side. In two years it's grown from a gallon-size pot into a 12 ft. tree. It's also starting to get that characteristic "peeling" bark that I love. Hope this one does well for you!

Nelson

• madabouteu
    15 years ago

Where I lived in New Orleans, there was a large loquat in front - I saw it take 16F with no damage, though that year's fruit was meager. Oh well, most of the fruit always went to birds and small boys!

• alex_7b
    15 years ago

Good down to 8º that mine saw a few years back. They don't fruit if temps drop below 20º.

• telly2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Searched eucalyptus 'neglecta' since it was mentioned, now I gotta have one of those too ! Does anyone know where I can get one in the B'ham area ?

• john_trussville
    15 years ago

telly2, in the past I've purchased eucalyptus 'neglecta' at Oak Street Garden Shop in Mountain Brook, and at Hannah's Garden Shop out on Hwy 280 east. Can't say whether they have them this year though.

• haley45
    15 years ago

john trussville - I also picked up one of the variegated pinstripe ginger at the sale (along with a PeeWee oakleaf hydrangea, variegated sedum, Japanese forest grass, rain lily...:D). I'm new to gingers and since I'm not too far from Trussville (I live in Moody), I'm curious as to how you were going to use yours in your garden (exposure, amount of sun/shade, soil, etc). It was just such a beautiful plant that I got sucked into buying it without knowing exactly where to put it! Thanks!

• kabby_z8
    15 years ago

I'm going to try loquats for the first time this yr also. Have a trade coming from Panama City.
    The variegated ginger is an alpinia and won't bloom because of our freezes, but it's well worth it for the foliage alone. Hedychium gingers are more cold tolerant and will overwinter outside. They also tolerate the sun more than other gingers, sometimes if they have too much shade they won't bloom at all.

• birdlady_10
    15 years ago

My "neglecta" eucalyptus is over 12 ft tall now-freezes didn't bother it all.Both loquats are over 5 ft & bushy.I know they won't fruit but love the foliage.All my gingers are morning sun-afternoon shade.Mostly hedychiums-some alpinas.Tried some costas-no go :-(.But the shell ginger came back this year.Now to try some "iffy" bananas since my ensete made it thru this year-with LOTS of protection! Jan

• haley45
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info Kabby and Jan! The ginger I bought was actually mislabeled as a Hedychium, so when I bought it, I assumed that it would be hardy for my area. But when I got back from the sale and was looking up more info on it, thats when I discovered that it was an alpinia. I'll try to find a sheltered spot for it that will get some afternoon shade and see how it goes.

• kabby_z8
    15 years ago

You are welcome Haley! Jan if you haven't tried Kaempferias, you NEED to! I only have one so far and it is so slow to break dormancy. I keep wanting to use that empty space for something else. I'm going to get some more but my budget is busted for plants right now. They are beautiful low growing plants.
    On my bananas I have overwintered Manzano and Ice Cream every yr with no protection. Have lost a heck of a lot more that DIDN'T overwinter.
    Sorry to highjack your thread telly, now you have all this information that you have no need for! LOL!

• telly2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's ok, kabby. I'm learning this way too !

• fabozzip_icpcorp_com
    12 years ago

How about there is some growing and fruiting in Brooklyn!!
    ZONE 6

• HU-753762413
    5 years ago

I am in zone 88a and my tree is beautiful

It put on fruit two years ago for the first time. Last year the cold came too quick.

• HU-753762413
    5 years ago

Zone 8!

• josephene_gw
    5 years ago

Saw one on Smith Lake. It is huge.

They are easily grown from seeds.

• Deborah Farrington
    2 years ago

I learned last year that a farm in Tacoma Park, MD specializes in growing both ginger, and, turmeric. On another site, someone succeeded growing Loquat in Zone 6 by sandwiching it between the garage, and, several shielding pines. They had moved it there after 3 years of trying to grow it in an open field. In the sheltered spot, it was thriving a little too well, but, never produced fruit. Zone 7 may see fruit in a mild winter.

• Jurassic Park
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I can overwinter loquats in the ground in NJ zone 7a/b but the deer seem to think otherwise!!! They devour there evergreen leaves, so, I need to grow them in huge containers on the top deck and then move them in the garage.

• Deborah Farrington
    2 years ago

They eat SO many things that are supposed to be deer resistant.🤣

Sponsored