Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady's Mantle

Posted by drippy 7bAL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 8:03

I brought seeds from my alchemilla mollis with me from MA - but am seeing in the new Bluestone catalog that it is not a good plant for Gulf states. Anyone in N. Alabama grow it? I will be a little sad if I can't grow lady's mantle here. I do have some shade in my yard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady's Mantle

I have tried several times and it has never come back. It doesn't seem to like all the humidity and heat in the summer. It's a shame because it is a beautiful plant and I WANT IT!

o

I've tried a couple of times, too, with the same results as lsmcw. That's one of the plants I'd love to grow that just can't seem to make it in Alabama. :-( Fortunately, there are lots of others that will grow here that can't survive in MA.

o

I'm actually pretty happy with the overall variety available. I can grow a lot of what I grew in MA - I was a zone 6b - and my Mom insists the Cape area is 7a. Not all the zone 7 plants were reliable there though, and they pretty much are here. Being in northern Madison county, in the cooler part of the valley, I'm curious to see if any 8's will survive here.

Then there are a few things that don't take kindly to the warmer environment - like lilacs - but I understand I can find at least one variety that will do well in the south. I've also heard that oriental poppies won't do well here, or delphs. I have just planted out some oriental poppy seedlings - I had the seeds anyway - as an experiment.

The new garden is fun. I was so worried that most of what I planted out last year wouldn't come back, but everything did except asclepias and passiflora caerulea - both of which are native here; go figure.

I will miss my lady's mantle, however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here